Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lighting question

Lighting question

Boots Crofoot

Are digital cameras affected by UV light?

--
boots

Jim Townsend

Boots Crofoot wrote:

> Are digital cameras affected by UV light?

No.

Tony Spadaro

Yes.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Boots Crofoot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f874897$0$43847$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Are digital cameras affected by UV light?
>
> --
> boots

Joseph Meehan

Yes and no. To some degree yes, but it seems to be less than most
films.

Even different films are not the same and different people see it
different. The cut off for our vision is not at exactly the same spot.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Boots Crofoot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f874897$0$43847$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Are digital cameras affected by UV light?
>
> --
> boots

Don Stauffer

Not as much as film. While silicon CCD chips do have some small
sensitivity to longer end of UV spectrum, the glass used in lens, and
the color filters further restrict the UV response of a digicam.

There have been some special CCD chips made with enhanced UV response.
Some are GaAs chips, others silicon with care taken not to loose what
small UV response silicon already has.

In general, though, digicams with silicon CCDs are not that good for
doing UV photography. Better to use fast film and scan film afterwards.

One technique which could be done is to use an image converter, a
flourescing screen sensitive to UV, with the silicon CCD chip imaged on
the screen.

BTW, Canon used to sell a lens specially made for enhanced UV
transmittance. The glass in the lenses on most cameras limits the UV
response more than the film. Actually, film is even sensitive to X-ray,
but the lenses will not refract and image X-rays.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota