Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with Canon Wide angle lens. Any comments would be great! Cheers.

Help with Canon Wide angle lens. Any comments would be great! Cheers.

niicko

Hi all,

I'm wondering if i could get some comments on the below lens. I've been
reading reviews all week and most of them seem to contradict one another! So
i thought it best to ask some real people So, if anyone has any comments
or alternate suggestions regarding the lens I would be most appreciative.
I'm after a nice wide angle lens for both wide angle city/landscape images
to special effect distortion shots. Cheers!

Lens in question: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
The Camera i'm using is a Canon EOS 10D

Regards,
Nick.

Charles Schuler

"niicko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm61gj$jqb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if i could get some comments on the below lens. I've been
> reading reviews all week and most of them seem to contradict one another!

So
> i thought it best to ask some real people So, if anyone has any

comments
> or alternate suggestions regarding the lens I would be most appreciative.
> I'm after a nice wide angle lens for both wide angle city/landscape images
> to special effect distortion shots. Cheers!

I just went through this process and it is confusing. I know you have been
reading reviews but wanted to let you know about these sites:

http://www.cmpsolv.com/photozone/lsurveyEOS.htm

http://www.photographyreview.com/Len...C_3787crx.aspx

If you already knew about these, sorry!

JohnO

I also have the 10D. I got the 28-135 IS and 75-300 IS when I ordered the
camera and quickly found out I needed something a little wider.

Wasn't crazy about spending the $800 on the 17-40 L but after reading some
positive reviews decided it might be worth it. Can't remember where I read
it (magazine? Internet?) but one review said he had compared the 17-40 with
his 16-35 and at considerably less price it was just as good. That was when
I made up my mind to go for the 17-40 L.

As expensive as it is, well worth it if you have a use for it. Problem I
have now is that the "L" lenses, if they are as good as the 17-40 quality
(which I think they are) is so much noticably better that I'm saving up to
go with only "L" lenses in the future. May take a while though

As I said, if you have a use for it, which I do, it was worth the price and
I don't regret buying it. I'll put a few samples up shortly but it may take
a little time so if the page doesn't load try again later (I have a few
things to do first)

http://www.riview.com/1740/

Hope that helps!