Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10 feet?

10 feet?

CNT

If the subject is quite close (3-4 feet), it will be well lighted by the
on-board flash and noise will not be a problem.
Advantage S50....Marginally higher resolution.
If the subject is pretty far away (18-20 feet), the subject will be poorly
lighted and noise and color depth may be a problem.
Advantage S45..... Marginally better color rendition.

The above is a quote from one's suggestion for which camera (4/5MP). The
question is what would be good for if I do mostly 10 feet (8 to 10 feet is
what I find myself shooting). The area is in a low-lighted weddings and the
camera has the flasher set ON. To my best guess, looks like the 5MP (S50) is
better choice since the build-in flasher reaches 13.1ft (however S45 flasher
is 15.7ft so the S45 could be an bonus over the S50!).

Chuck

Michael Meissner

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> If the subject is quite close (3-4 feet), it will be well lighted by the
> on-board flash and noise will not be a problem.
> Advantage S50....Marginally higher resolution.
> If the subject is pretty far away (18-20 feet), the subject will be poorly
> lighted and noise and color depth may be a problem.
> Advantage S45..... Marginally better color rendition.
>
> The above is a quote from one's suggestion for which camera (4/5MP). The
> question is what would be good for if I do mostly 10 feet (8 to 10 feet is
> what I find myself shooting). The area is in a low-lighted weddings and the
> camera has the flasher set ON. To my best guess, looks like the 5MP (S50) is
> better choice since the build-in flasher reaches 13.1ft (however S45 flasher
> is 15.7ft so the S45 could be an bonus over the S50!).

You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the subject is
10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom lens and
a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at 10-15
feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

CNT

LOL, that is where the G3 comes in!

> You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the subject

is
> 10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom lens

and
> a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at

10-15
> feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.

Also, can someone CONFIRM that the dpreview.com is correct with the flash
length between the two cameras? According to the dpreview.com, the S45 have
a flash range length of 15.7ft and the S50 has 13.1ft.

Chuck

Don Coon

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f862636$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LOL, that is where the G3 comes in!
>
> > You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the

subject
> is
> > 10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom

lens
> and
> > a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at

> 10-15
> > feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

> BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
> internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
> That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
> S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.
>
> Also, can someone CONFIRM that the dpreview.com is correct with the flash
> length between the two cameras? According to the dpreview.com, the S45

have
> a flash range length of 15.7ft and the S50 has 13.1ft.
>
> Chuck

Looks to me like the have the same flash ratings.

S50
Flash Range (Auto ISO) W: 35 cm - 4.8 m (1.1 ft. - 15.7 ft.)
T: 35 cm - 3 m (1.15 ft. - 9.8 ft.)

Flash Range (ISO 100) W: 55 cm 4 m (1.8 ft. 13.1 ft.)
T: 55 cm 2.5 m (1.8 ft. 8.2 ft.)

S45

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
> internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
> That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
> S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.

I don't recall if Canon cameras have a preflash or not. If it has a preflash,
your options are more limited. Here is a listing of various slave flashes, and
generic flashes that you can use a trigger (such as the Wein digital peanut
slave trigger).

http://www.therollbar.com/flashes.htm

--
Michael Meissner