Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > is a little high voltage hazardous?

is a little high voltage hazardous?

roror

Hi all,

My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.

Thanks
roror

P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I am
used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

PiZzazA

BIG no no. Why not use 10 batteries with 2x5 configuration?
"roror" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0dhhb.35769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
> power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
> recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
> anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.
>
> Thanks
> roror
>
> P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I am
> used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

roror

Kool. Thanks.

7 mins to reply. That is why I come to r.p.d

roror

PiZzazA wrote:
> BIG no no. Why not use 10 batteries with 2x5 configuration?
> "roror" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0dhhb.35769$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
>>charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
>>power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
>>recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
>>anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.
>>
>>Thanks
>>roror
>>
>>P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I am
>>used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

Phil Stripling

roror <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
> power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
> recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
> anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.

I had a battery operated slide viewer that took some voltage or other, and
I put a higher voltage battery in it, since I didn't have the right
one. After awhile, I started smelling something -- the solder was melting.

I would expect the same from your camera. There's a joke about radio
equipment: It runs on smoke, and once you let the smoke out, it won't work
anymore. Same with cameras.

Ron Hunter

roror wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
> power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
> recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
> anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.
>
> Thanks
> roror
>
> P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I am
> used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

DON'T. It would give 7.5 volts over the entire use life of the charge.
NIMH batteries have a VERY flat discharge profile. Probably no harm
would be done, but why do this when using only 5 batteries would give
the proper voltage, and for 80% as long.

Robertwgross

A little too much voltage is only as hazardous as being a little bit pregnant.

---Bob Gross---

mcgyverjones

"roror" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0dhhb.35769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
> power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
> recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
> anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.

The real problem with this sort of thing is the internal resistance of the
batteries. This affects the current available to the equipment and how much
the voltage will drop under load.
You indicate that the camera is designed to take 5 NiMH cells. Increasing
the voltage will not help much and may create disastrous problems. Why not
increase the size of the cells or double up in parallel to increase capacity
(Amp Hours)?

MJ

W6DKN

roror wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series
> to power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two
> after a recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a
> setup? Has anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.
>
> Thanks
> roror
>
> P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I
> am used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

Rather than run small capacity batteries in an over-voltage situation which
*could* be harmful to your gear (and only give marginally better service),
why not make up a SLA (sealed lead-acid, or gel cell) power pack instead? A
10 amp hour 6 volt SLA can be had for less than $20.00, and making a power
cord to connect to the camera is child's play. This will run your camera
for a *very* long time and will have a *much* better shelf life than nimh.

I use a home made 6 volt SLA battery pack to power my SB-80DX flash for
heavy use occasions (like weddings, etc.). It provides un-ending, almost
instant full power flash recycle, and goes for months between charges. By
comparison, using 2,000 mAh nimh cells gave only about 60 flashes, with
each recycle taking from 10 seconds (on a fresh set) to over a minute (as
the batteries became more depleted).

Total cost to make it (including battery, generic nylon belt case, and
power connector cable) was about $25.00 (vs. over $250.00 for a Quantum
Turbo commercial power pack). And it charges overnight with my Maha C777
Plus universal charger, or you can use a small 6 volt trickle battery
charger - or even a 6 volt "wall wart" - if you don't need it recharged
very quickly.

= Dan =

Eric Gisin

In article <0dhhb.35769$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am says...
> Hi all,
>
> My camera is designed to take 6v, But, as the NiMH batteries loose
> charge quickly, I was thinking of putting 6 AA NiMH cells, in series to
> power my camera. That would give 7.2V for the first day or two after a
> recarge. Is it strictly a no-no? Is anyone using such a setup? Has
> anyone burnt his/her camera by doing this.

I have one of those adjustable power supplies with multiple adapters. It
gives over 7V when set to 6V. No problems on multiple products.

> P.S. Mine is a 35mm slr (Oly iS-50). I am posting in r.p.d because I am
> used to this ng and here ppl are more helpful than other ngs.

I would suggest an electronics group, most of the replies here are
clueless. Your camera has a voltage regulator, a RISC CPU would never
work on batteries directly.

W6DKN