Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Wrist strap vs. neck strap

Wrist strap vs. neck strap

Red Clay

So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?

On your wrist or around your neck?

Red

Stewy

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?

A waist pouch or directly on the belt. I'm too 'chunky' to have it sliding
left or right over my stomach.

Whichever YOU find most comfortable.

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

Browntimdc

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:iOchb.7079$Eo2.1590
@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and

shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

Wrist strap for me. Just feels right.

Tim

Roger

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:48:14 GMT, "Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
>sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
>On your wrist or around your neck?
>
>Red

My film P&S (Contax T3 & Olympus Stylus Epic) are about the size you
mention and both have wrist straps. I use the wrist strap in
conjunction with the belt case on my right side. It's easy into the
case when not needed and secure with the wrist strap otherwise. All my
other cameras are large SLRs and I work those out of a bag or using a
neck strap. I feel very comfortable with both, but I think for fast
moving, a light weight P&S hanging from a long tether would be
uncomfortable for me - OTOH a Nikon F5 w/ heavy zoom feels just about
right.

Regards,
Roger

Ron Hunter

Red Clay wrote:

> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

I prefer a wrist strap for a camera that is under 400 grams. Anything
heavier needs a neck strap for long-term carry.

Eigenvector

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

Personally I perfer the waist pouch to any of the straps. I just don't
trust that strap to hold the camera steady and stable when walking about.
Too many times I've banged my camera on trees, rocks, and such.

DigitalCameraBasics

I hate things around my neck... I always use a wrist strap.

Greg

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

Tony Whitaker

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?

A wrist strap is much more convenient, but a neck strap is much more
secure. Last weekend, I walked across one side of a large bridge
(Campostella Bridge in Norfolk, VA) and back across the other side, taking
pictures with my Yashica TLR film camera - with neck strap of course. As I
dangled it over the railing, about 100 feet above the river, I was
imagining that I had my Nikon Coolpix 5000 instead, with its wrist strap,
and I trembled at the thought of it slipping off my wrist and plummeting
into the river. I plan on doing the bridge walk again, next time with the
Coolpix, and I'll definitely be using a neck strap.

--
To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

Canopus

"Red Clay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iOchb.7079$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> So what's the consensus on the best way to tote around a point and shoot
> sized digital camera like the Canon PowerShot S50 or Olympus C-50?
>
> On your wrist or around your neck?
>
> Red

A slender neck strap that you can also wrap around your wrist and also put
the whole kaboozle into a waist pouch. Keep your options open.

Rob