Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > exif information and bulb exposures. (where did they put it?) (canon 300d)

exif information and bulb exposures. (where did they put it?) (canon 300d)

Karl Palsson

Hi,

I've been having some issues with getting the exif info that I'm
after. I can take bulb exposures in the order of hours, and in
canon's FileViewer, I see the exposure as x thousand seconds, or
whatever I had, and it all looks fine, no matter whether I'm using
jpeg or raw.

But when I dump the exif, in anything, either photostudio,
breezebrowser, my own perl scripts, anything, the shutterspeed always
comes up as 1/0 or -2^16 or something equally useless.

Does anyone know where canon is really keeping this info? I know it
is somewhere, but I'm not getting very far with my hex dumping and
experiments.

replies to karl_AT_tweak.net.au would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Karl P

CSM1

"Karl Palsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I've been having some issues with getting the exif info that I'm
> after. I can take bulb exposures in the order of hours, and in
> canon's FileViewer, I see the exposure as x thousand seconds, or
> whatever I had, and it all looks fine, no matter whether I'm using
> jpeg or raw.
>
> But when I dump the exif, in anything, either photostudio,
> breezebrowser, my own perl scripts, anything, the shutterspeed always
> comes up as 1/0 or -2^16 or something equally useless.
>
> Does anyone know where canon is really keeping this info? I know it
> is somewhere, but I'm not getting very far with my hex dumping and
> experiments.
>
> replies to karl_AT_tweak.net.au would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Karl P

Have you tried Exifer?
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

The Exif specification.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/Pdf/Exif_2-1.pdf

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

John Russell

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:32:02 GMT, "CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

I just went looking and the only download links from that page lead to
Tucows, where there's no Win 98-compatible version listed. Is there
an earlier version that does work on Win 98?

John
--
Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/

Paul Bartram

"John Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I just went looking and the only download links from that page lead to
> Tucows, where there's no Win 98-compatible version listed. Is there
> an earlier version that does work on Win 98?

I downloaded v 2.1.5 (build 263) from our local mirror (powerup, Brisbane
Australia) and it works just fine on Win 98SE. Try using the same source as
me, it might be a slightly older version than the one you got. Should be
1,664 Kb.

Paul