Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Pro Digital SLR with full 35mm frame sensor in the works?

Nikon Pro Digital SLR with full 35mm frame sensor in the works?

J. Sm

Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

Gavin Cato

Some Nikon head execs said theyy will develop a full frame DSLR for the pro
market "in the future".

Whether this means the not far off D2x or a future D3x is anyones guess.

"J. Sm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital

pro
> SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
> anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

wolverlei photography

I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they created,
will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x, d200 and an
d75 soon...same frame size.

--
Martin
www.wolverlei.com

http://home.hccnet.nl/F.siemensma

"Gavin Cato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f8381f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some Nikon head execs said theyy will develop a full frame DSLR for the

pro
> market "in the future".
>
> Whether this means the not far off D2x or a future D3x is anyones guess.
>

> "J. Sm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital

> pro
> > SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
> > anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

MarkH

"wolverlei photography" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bm0f99$b41$(E-Mail Removed):

> I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they
> created, will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x,
> d200 and an d75 soon...same frame size.

Really?

I didnít realise that Nikon had released a range of special lenses for the
digital SLRs. I have only heard of the 12-24. Could you list the range of
lenses for those of us that are woefully uninformed?

BTW
Unless the entire Nikon D-SLR range was replaced by full frame models, then
wont there still be a market for the special lenses?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

wolverlei photography

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm0ibm$lll$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "wolverlei photography" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bm0f99$b41$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they
> > created, will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x,
> > d200 and an d75 soon...same frame size.

> Really?
>
> I didn't realise that Nikon had released a range of special lenses for the
> digital SLRs. I have only heard of the 12-24. Could you list the range

of
> lenses for those of us that are woefully uninformed?
>
> BTW
> Unless the entire Nikon D-SLR range was replaced by full frame models,

then
> wont there still be a market for the special lenses?

these are designed only for digital NOTfullsize, useless on other camera's:
Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24/4.0 G ED
Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55/2.8G IF ED
Nikkor AF-S DX Fisheye 10,5/2.8 ED

Brandnew expensive lenses so i think that there will be a full-size in
future but the "common"size digi's will remain.

--
Martin
www.wolverlei.com

Gavin Cato

I agree, though I wish it was with the D2x.

"wolverlei photography" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm0f99$b41$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I dont think that will happen soon. The special digital lenses they

created,
> will be useless on the full frames... so there wil be a d2x, d200 and an
> d75 soon...same frame size.
>

> --
> Martin
> www.wolverlei.com
> www.martinstevens.nl
>
> http://home.hccnet.nl/F.siemensma
>
> "Gavin Cato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f8381f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Some Nikon head execs said theyy will develop a full frame DSLR for the

> pro
> > market "in the future".
> >
> > Whether this means the not far off D2x or a future D3x is anyones guess.
> >

> > "J. Sm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame

digital
> > pro
> > > SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone

known
> > > anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

MarkH

"wolverlei photography" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bm0jbc$df4$(E-Mail Removed):

> these are designed only for digital NOTfullsize, useless on other
> camera's: Nikkor AF-S DX 12-24/4.0 G ED
> Nikkor AF-S DX 17-55/2.8G IF ED
> Nikkor AF-S DX Fisheye 10,5/2.8 ED
>
> Brandnew expensive lenses so i think that there will be a full-size in
> future but the "common"size digi's will remain.

Thanks for the info.

Personally I would be reluctant to buy a 17-55 for small sensor only,
unless it was very cheap. I donít expect to own my current D-SLR forever,
if I replace it in 5 years with one that has a full frame sensor I want to
be able to use my current lenses, especially the expensive ones.

I can understand buying the 12-24 because you canít find that wide in a
normal zoom.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

David Dyer-Bennet

"J. Sm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
> SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
> anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

You do know that that Kodak model takes Nikon lenses, right?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Bill Hilton

>From: "J. Sm" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Am a dyed in the wool Nikon fan wanting to move up a full frame digital pro
>SLR - but alas, only Canon and Kodak have them at present - anyone known
>anything about when Nikon will meet the competition?

I saw a blurb in a magazine recently from Nikon to the effect they were taking
two paths with dSLR's, keeping the 1.5x multiplier size sensor for consumer
grade dSLR's and developing full frame sensors for professional dSLR's. No
time table but if they're making statements like this you'd figure an official
announcement would occur relatively soon, say 6 months or so?

Bill

Mark Roberts

(E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:

>I saw a blurb in a magazine recently from Nikon to the effect they were taking
>two paths with dSLR's, keeping the 1.5x multiplier size sensor for consumer
>grade dSLR's and developing full frame sensors for professional dSLR's. No
>time table but if they're making statements like this you'd figure an official
>announcement would occur relatively soon, say 6 months or so?

The industry insiders I know say Nikon is at least a year behind Canon,
possibly two. I'd guess we might see a non-working prototype at PMA in
Feb. They need to *show* that they've got something coming ASAP.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing