Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Offensive Posts

Offensive Posts

Michael Kilpatrick

I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to do it
again.
1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender and
creates a string that is hard to block.
2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3 seconds
and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided no-one has
responded.
3. Report immediately to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Copy the source details
of the offensive post into your email to Google (Properties/Details/Message
Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who post the
sick stuff we have been seeing recently.
Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this sort of
messge, but............

Steve Young

> "Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote

> I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to
> do it again.

Good idea, this bears repeating
mayhaps roll the stuff together into a FAQ? (for frequent posting?)

> 1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender
> and creates a string that is hard to block.

> 2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3
> seconds and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided
> no-one has responded.

This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

> 3. Report immediately to (E-Mail Removed) Copy the source
> details of the offensive post into your email to Google
> (Properties/Details/Message
> Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who
> post the sick stuff we have been seeing recently.

> Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this
> sort of messge, but............

Me as well; apologies!
sentiments of the majority? prolly so
though you know a person or 2 would holler censoring

(it won't be me)

Steve Young

PS quote from a troubled participant, sporting a broad brush:
"Yes, indeed Sick people. Sad day for this NG. I will delete from my
list. and not to visit again." tan boen hian" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bryce

Why do you worry so much about it?

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:3f82c889$0$4845$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to do it
> again.
> 1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender and
> creates a string that is hard to block.
> 2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3

seconds
> and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided no-one has
> responded.
> 3. Report immediately to (E-Mail Removed) Copy the source details
> of the offensive post into your email to Google

(Properties/Details/Message
> Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who post

the
> sick stuff we have been seeing recently.
> Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this sort of
> messge, but............

Steve Young

> > "Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote
[...]
> > Google does act against people who post the sick stuff we have
> > been seeing recently.
> > Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this
> >sort of messge, but............

> "Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Why do you worry so much about it?

because he doesn't want to see it?
possibly embarrassed by it?
(just guessing)

This fella had objections too:
"Yes, indeed Sick people. Sad day for this NG. I will delete from my
list. and not to visit again." tan boen hian" <(E-Mail Removed)>

Is this freedom?
does it advance the purpose of this newsgroup and our sport?

Steve Young

Marvin Margoshes

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:3f82c889$0$4845$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to do it
> again.
> 1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender and
> creates a string that is hard to block.
> 2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3

seconds
> and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided no-one has
> responded.
> 3. Report immediately to (E-Mail Removed) Copy the source details
> of the offensive post into your email to Google

(Properties/Details/Message
> Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who post

the
> sick stuff we have been seeing recently.
> Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this sort of
> messge, but............

For the recent offendor, who kept using new sender names, it was more
effective to set up a rule blocking messages that contained any of the
several offensive words in his limited vocablulary.

B.t.w., one of the htings i learned in my U.S. Army service was htat
those4-letter words commonly used by soldiers are actually meaningless in
context. They can be used to catch peoples attention - after oyu have made
oyurself known as soemone who doesn't use them.

When each of our children first brought one of those words home, my wife
calmly asked that child to explain what the word means. They couldn't, and
stopped using the word, at least at home.

mark_digital©

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When each of our children first brought one of those words home, my wife
> calmly asked that child to explain what the word means. They couldn't, and
> stopped using the word, at least at home.

When my 2 year old granddaughter learned she could get attention by
sprawling out on the hardwood floor I put a pillow under her head while she
lay there, then I walked away. She hasn't done it since.
Mark_

Bryce

Reminds me of my 1.5/2 year old hitting her head on the table for attention
back when. You give her a box of bandaids and walk off. only a week or so
that lasted.

"mark_digital©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blvanr$enf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When each of our children first brought one of those words home, my wife
> > calmly asked that child to explain what the word means. They couldn't,

and
> > stopped using the word, at least at home.
> >

> When my 2 year old granddaughter learned she could get attention by
> sprawling out on the hardwood floor I put a pillow under her head while

she
> lay there, then I walked away. She hasn't done it since.
> Mark_

Michael Kilpatrick

Bryce

I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I think it is obvious that some of the
posts that have appeared on this group recently would be offensive to the
great majority of people.
I value what I have learned from newsgroups and as far as I'm concerned, the
more people who participate constructively, the better.
If some of the usual suspects want to engage in a flame war, I couldn't care
less, but recently things have crossed the line and I think people will be
deterred from participating when they are confronted with dozens of
appalling headers.
That's all. If offensive posts don't bother you, that's fine.

Mark B.

"Steve Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HaBgb.167712$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
> This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
> themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

"artist"??

Steve Young

> > "Steve Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> <snip>
> > This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
> > themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> "artist"??

ummm, well, I was trying not to get anyone PO'd
next thing you know, "Mxsmanic" <(E-Mail Removed)> & others
will be proclaiming their rights, anything less would be censorship.
And you wouldn't want to mess with the originator, create any ill
feelings and such

what's a fella to do ?
<shrug>

(with his masterful implementation, it would be considered high art in
some newsgroups