Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D100 with Nikon Manual Lenses ?

Nikon D100 with Nikon Manual Lenses ?

Al Dykes

I've got 3 manual nikkor lenses I love; the 24MM 2.8, the 180mm ED and
the 75-150 E, and with my FE2 can focus quickly and accuratly. Will
the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?

From reading recent messages here it sounds like when Nikon delivers
something like the Canon 300D it won't be backward compatible with my
lenses, so I might just as well either buy a D100 or sell everything
and switch to canon. I might as well have some fun with a D100
for a few years while I'm waiting for the perfect camera.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

George

The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a technical
reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision. Write to Nikon
to complain and maybe the next dSLR will allow metering. Apparently Nikon
is already reacting to some marketing pressure on the D100 as Calumet now
has it for $1499...most likely a Nikon price drop as Calumet isn't usually a
price leader.

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blqm6e$a3h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got 3 manual nikkor lenses I love; the 24MM 2.8, the 180mm ED and
> the 75-150 E, and with my FE2 can focus quickly and accuratly. Will
> the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?
>
> From reading recent messages here it sounds like when Nikon delivers
> something like the Canon 300D it won't be backward compatible with my
> lenses, so I might just as well either buy a D100 or sell everything
> and switch to canon. I might as well have some fun with a D100
> for a few years while I'm waiting for the perfect camera.
>

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> (E-Mail Removed)

W6DKN

George wrote:
> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on) does
not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

Most non-AF Nikkors do not have a CPU, but if you have any of the older
quality Nikkors, they can have a CPU added for a reasonable price (but it's
probably not cost effective for the typical consumer grade lenses)..

> Write to Nikon to complain and maybe the next dSLR will allow
> metering

If it's really that important to have in-camera metering with older
Nikkors, then the D1, D1H, D1X, and new D2H all provide this function.

= Dan =

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, W6DKN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>George wrote:
>> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
>> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

>The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on) does
>not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
>with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even provide
stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering does not require
any kind of coupling.

--
Philip Homburg
begin no-virus-in-sight.exe

tim sewell

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blqm6e$a3h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got 3 manual nikkor lenses I love; the 24MM 2.8, the 180mm ED and
> the 75-150 E, and with my FE2 can focus quickly and accuratly. Will
> the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?

Al,
The D100 manual has this to say about 'manual' lenses :
"Non-AI lenses cannot be used".

AI, AI-S or AI modified 'non-CPU' lenses :
"Camera exposure meter cannot be used".

ie Programmed mode, Shutter priority or Aperture priority are all
unavailable for non-CPU lenses on the D100.

HTH
Tim S.

George

I know that there is some fellow who adds CPUs to some Nikon lenses but the
list is quite small and doesn't necessarily represent "quality" Nikon lenses
only (for instance, my Nikon 8mm f/2.8 AI fisheye isn't on his list and he
hasn't responded to my emails, so I assume he doesn't add the CPU to
it...and this lens definitely isn't a "typical consumer grade" lens). Also,
Nikon doesn't do it. Do you know of another source?

"W6DKN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> George wrote:
> > The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
> > technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

> The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on)

does
> not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
> with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.
>
> Most non-AF Nikkors do not have a CPU, but if you have any of the older
> quality Nikkors, they can have a CPU added for a reasonable price (but

it's
> probably not cost effective for the typical consumer grade lenses)..
>
> > Write to Nikon to complain and maybe the next dSLR will allow
> > metering

> If it's really that important to have in-camera metering with older
> Nikkors, then the D1, D1H, D1X, and new D2H all provide this function.
>
> = Dan =

George

That is what I've heard, too. Hand-held meter time...

"Philip Homburg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qs4561skp8ftgooluh5gtq4pr4@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, W6DKN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >George wrote:
> >> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
> >> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing decision.

> >The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based on)

does
> >not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it communicates
> >with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

> I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even provide
> stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering does not

require
> any kind of coupling.
>

> --
> Philip Homburg

George

and even manual exposure using the camera's metering system cannot be used

"tim sewell" <tsewell@REMOVE THIS TO REPLYmelbpc.org.au> wrote in message
news:blre70$52q$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:blqm6e$a3h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've got 3 manual nikkor lenses I love; the 24MM 2.8, the 180mm ED and
> > the 75-150 E, and with my FE2 can focus quickly and accuratly. Will
> > the D100 work in apature-priority with these lenses ?
> >

> Al,
> The D100 manual has this to say about 'manual' lenses :
> "Non-AI lenses cannot be used".
>
> AI, AI-S or AI modified 'non-CPU' lenses :
> "Camera exposure meter cannot be used".
>
> ie Programmed mode, Shutter priority or Aperture priority are all
> unavailable for non-CPU lenses on the D100.
>
> HTH
> Tim S.

W6DKN

Philip Homburg wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, W6DKN <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> George wrote:
>>> The D100 does not meter with non-AF lenses. I cannot imagine a
>>> technical reason for this so I think it is just a marketing
>>> decision.

>> The reason is that D100 (like the N80 it and the Fuji S2 are based
>> on) does not have an aperture coupling ring on the body. Instead it
>> communicates with the lens' CPU to determine aperture settings.

> I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the F80/D100/S2 don't even
> provide stop-down metering on non-chipped lenses. Stop-down metering
> does not require any kind of coupling.

Correct, there is no in camera metering with these cameras on a non-CPU
lens. And I agree that it would have been easy to retain this feature. I
suspect that it was left out of the lower cost DSLR's to provide incentive
to those who had pro non-CPU glass to buy the higher end "Pro" bodies.

However, the histogram function does work, and it is a more accurate post
exposure measure of proper exposure.

If you have reasonable photographic experience it is easy to observe a
scene and determine the approximate manual settings for proper exposure.
Set the camera, then shoot a frame, review the histogram, and make whatever
exposure compensation is indicated. Then shoot again, and you have it.

I find that with my D100 and a non-CPU lens it rarely takes more than 2
shots to nail the scene using this initial observation/histogram "metering"
method"

= Dan =

W6DKN

George wrote:
> I know that there is some fellow who adds CPUs to some Nikon lenses
> but the list is quite small and doesn't necessarily represent
> "quality" Nikon lenses only (for instance, my Nikon 8mm f/2.8 AI
> fisheye isn't on his list and he hasn't responded to my emails, so I
> assume he doesn't add the CPU to it...and this lens definitely isn't
> a "typical consumer grade" lens). Also, Nikon doesn't do it. Do you
> know of another source?

We are probably thinking of the same guy, since I only know of one source
for this upgrade. As I understand it, he uses replacement part CPU's and
contact rings from current AF Nikkors to perform the upgrades. I would
guess that the non-CPU lenses that can be upgraded would need to be of
similar size, aperture and focal length of current AF lenses in order to
obtain compatible parts...?

= Dan =