Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CompactFlash cards

CompactFlash cards

Peter

Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.

I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 Plus, but am swamped by an
abundance of CF products on the market! Prices also, range vastly.
Presumably, as with many items, there is a quality/price curve and not all
cards function as well in some cameras as they do with others.... or am I
totally wrong? Being new to this aspect, I'm not at all clear about specs,
fitment and anything relevant to one trying to purchase, so I'd appreciate
some help.

Are all CF cards compatible with all cameras which use CompactFlash?
Which 128/256MB card would give good performance in my camera while coming
with a good value price tag?
Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up lugging
the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new camera?

Many thanks for reading this far.

Vince_Z

I only have 3 CF cards. 2 256MB Sandisk Ultras and 1 256MB Dane-Elec. The
Sandisk Ultras have a considerably faster write speed than the Dane-Elec. I
shoot a Canon 10D. The faster write speed helps when shooting fast action
(9 frames at 3 frames per second). I still like the Dane-Elec and use it
often because it's a lot cheaper than the Ultras.

It shouldn't really matter too much which card you use with the DC210. But
if you're interested, there's a comparison database at:
http://www.robgalbraith.com

news:re0gb.1076$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.
>
> I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 Plus, but am swamped by an
> abundance of CF products on the market! Prices also, range vastly.
> Presumably, as with many items, there is a quality/price curve and not all
> cards function as well in some cameras as they do with others.... or am I
> totally wrong? Being new to this aspect, I'm not at all clear about

specs,
> fitment and anything relevant to one trying to purchase, so I'd appreciate
> some help.
>
> Are all CF cards compatible with all cameras which use CompactFlash?
> Which 128/256MB card would give good performance in my camera while coming
> with a good value price tag?
> Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up

lugging
> the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new camera?
>
> Many thanks for reading this far.

JohnF

> Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.
>
> I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 .......

I'm not in UK. But these comments might help:

1. The Canon A70 is gets many good marks, and it uses CF. I don't think CF
is going obsolete.

2. Try www.crucial.com for some good info about memory, including memory for
digital cameras. I order from them for my camera, laptop, and PC.

3. Don't install Kodak software. It devours disk space, memory, has too many
links to opportunities for you to spend more money.

4. Use a card reader to transfer images to your computer.

5. Use ACDSee to handle the images.

David Ellis

There are CF type-one and type-two cards. Be sure your camera accepts
type two before buying one. A type-two camera works with both types.

I see no end in sight for the sticks vs cards battle. Both will be
used for a long time. As to the specs... Not enough info to really
made a good decision; certainly little that would satisfy an engineer.
For example, read and write speeds are often quoted but rarely does
the spec tell whether this is sustained speed, and for how long before
the card heats up and slows down. They certainly don't mention whether
the CF card is capable of outrunning your camera. Ignore the specs.
(That'll get me flamed.)

One way to check prices is to do a web search for CF card. The result
usually includes vendors hawking the cards and specifying prices. One
place to check is http://www.pricewatch.com/ "flash card."

I've just spent some time in the Usenet archives on this subject and
I've concluded the best approach is to buy a low-price CF card until
you come up with a darn good reason, determined empirically, to buy a
more expensive (faster) one. The data presented in the articles
included timing tests that showed no advantage gained by using the
faster CF cards. The camera is the bottleneck. I refer to the four
cameras mentioned below. If what you seek is fast transfer from CF
card to computer, via a card reader, that's another matter.

In addition to the excellent advice you'll get here and now (this
author excepted), you can use Google's Groups Advanced Search, specify
this group, and put in whatever search string is suitable. A couple of
years ago Google bought the Usenet archives, cleaned 'em up, and it
now offers a wealth of archived articles posted in this group (among
others) not available anywhere else. I don't hold any shares in
Google. :=)

I've used Canon G1, G2, D60, and now 10D, and have found Sandisk's
low-end cards reliable and reasonably priced. I suspect there are many
other brands that have these qualities.

--David (Santa Clara, California)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:42:07 +0100, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.
>
>I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 Plus, but am swamped by an
>abundance of CF products on the market! Prices also, range vastly.
>Presumably, as with many items, there is a quality/price curve and not all
>cards function as well in some cameras as they do with others.... or am I
>totally wrong? Being new to this aspect, I'm not at all clear about specs,
>fitment and anything relevant to one trying to purchase, so I'd appreciate
>some help.
>
>Are all CF cards compatible with all cameras which use CompactFlash?
>Which 128/256MB card would give good performance in my camera while coming
>with a good value price tag?
>Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up lugging
>the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new camera?
>
>Many thanks for reading this far.

colm

They're very much in use. The Canon 10d, for example, uses them.
I get mine at http://www.7dayshop.com and have never had any problems with
them.
The only gothca is type 1 and 2 as has been mentioned by another poster.

--
Colm

news:re0gb.1076$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up

lugging
> the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new camera?

Your name

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:re0gb.1076$(E-Mail Removed):

Try
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/
I bought a PQI card here.Cheapest I could find.Works great in my Kodak
DC200 and in my Coolpix 995.

> Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.
>
> I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 Plus, but am swamped
> by an abundance of CF products on the market! Prices also, range
> vastly. Presumably, as with many items, there is a quality/price curve
> and not all cards function as well in some cameras as they do with
> others.... or am I totally wrong? Being new to this aspect, I'm not
> at all clear about specs, fitment and anything relevant to one trying
> to purchase, so I'd appreciate some help.
>
> Are all CF cards compatible with all cameras which use CompactFlash?
> Which 128/256MB card would give good performance in my camera while
> coming with a good value price tag?
> Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up
> lugging the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new
> camera?
>
> Many thanks for reading this far.

Martin Brown

In message <re0gb.1076$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Help with choice, please! I'm a UK resident.
>
>I'd like to source a CF card for my Kodak DC210 Plus, but am swamped by an
>abundance of CF products on the market! Prices also, range vastly.
>Presumably, as with many items, there is a quality/price curve and not all
>cards function as well in some cameras as they do with others.... or am I
>totally wrong?

As long as there isn't some inherent firmware limitation in the more
antique cameras and large media you should be OK. Isn't a DC210 roughly
around 1Mpixel ? If so you may find someone with a larger camera and the
odd 8 or 32MB CF card lying about unused. Otherwise the price is often
more related to famous brand name than performance.

>Are all CF cards compatible with all cameras which use CompactFlash?
>Which 128/256MB card would give good performance in my camera while coming
>with a good value price tag?
>Are these cards still used in modern cameras - so when I get fed up lugging
>the DC210 "brick" around I can still use the cards in my new camera?

Yes. CF is still one of the main memory technologies and price per Mb
keeps falling. The thing that you need to check is what is the maximum
size of CF memory that the DC210 knows how to handle. And for an old
slow camera it is not worth paying any extra for fast CF media.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Peter

Thanks to all who have replied - I've now got a lot more to go on.

Regards.