Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Off Brand lenses w/ Canon Digital Rebel?

Off Brand lenses w/ Canon Digital Rebel?

KlodtLarry

Does anyone know how third party (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron) Lenses react with the
Digital Rebel? I know the 10D has some issues with them. Thanks in advance!

Rafe B.

On 05 Oct 2003 13:38:57 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (KlodtLarry) wrote:

>Does anyone know how third party (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron) Lenses react with the
>Digital Rebel? I know the 10D has some issues with them. Thanks in advance!

Get the best lens you can afford.

Fact is, the sensors in these cameras have about 1/3 of the area
of a 35 mm frame. So the lens really is quite critical, even more so
than with 35 mm.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Robertwgross

Rafe wrote:
>Fact is, the sensors in these cameras have about 1/3 of the area
>of a 35 mm frame. So the lens really is quite critical, even more so
>than with 35 mm.

Actually, slightly less than 2/3 of the area of the 35mm frame.

---Bob Gross---

Rafe B.

On 06 Oct 2003 02:13:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:

>Rafe wrote:
>>Fact is, the sensors in these cameras have about 1/3 of the area
>>of a 35 mm frame. So the lens really is quite critical, even more so
>>than with 35 mm.

>Actually, slightly less than 2/3 of the area of the 35mm frame.

From the Canon 10D owners manual: image size 22.7 mm x 15.1 mm

That's 342.77 square mm.

For 35 mm: 24 mm x 36 mm = 864 square mm.

343 / 864 = 0.397

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Robertwgross

Are you reading the actual size or the usable size?

---Bob Gross---

Rafe B.

On 06 Oct 2003 04:42:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:

>Are you reading the actual size or the usable size?

In the 10D specs, it is simply labeled "image size."

On dpreview.com, it is also listed as the sensor size:

"22.7 x 15.1 mm CMOS sensor"

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rafe B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 06 Oct 2003 04:42:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:
>
>>Are you reading the actual size or the usable size?

>In the 10D specs, it is simply labeled "image size."
>
>On dpreview.com, it is also listed as the sensor size:
>
> "22.7 x 15.1 mm CMOS sensor"

Now, is that for the 3072*2048 standard file output, or for the real RAW
3084*2056 output?
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>