Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta DiMAGE Z1 and AF illuminator on Program Flash 3600

Minolta DiMAGE Z1 and AF illuminator on Program Flash 3600

Hans Geurtsen

Does anybody know whether the AF illuminator on the Program Flash 3600
should work when used with a Minolta DiMAGE Z1 camera? Or with the 2500?

Hans Geurtsen.

Hans Geurtsen

In the mean time I found out the answer to my own question and maybe
its relevant to other Minolta Digital Camera owners as well.

The official Minolta answer is that none of their digital cameras
support the AF illumunator on any of their flash devices. The reason
they give is that the CCD is too sensitive.

I think this is a pitty as the DiMAGE Z1 has definitely trouble in
applying the AF in low light conditions. This is already the case in a
normal lit livingroom or restaurant. So in my opinion you definitely
need the AF illuminator. Of course you can swith to manual focus, but
I don't like the way that works on the Z1. Also with manual in low
light conditions, it's not easy to tell wether your picture will be
sharp... Besides all this, why do other digital camera manufacturers,
like Canon on the G3, do have AF illuminator lights??

Hans.