Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 300D and mirror lens?

Canon 300D and mirror lens?

gja1

Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

Scott Coutts

gja1 wrote:
> Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
> version would?

Yep, but it will effectively be 800mm instead of 500mm.

> I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
> extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D
> as I already have
> a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

Do you mean a EOS 10 or EOS 10D? Because if you have a 10D, then why
do you want 300D? Backup? It will work exactly the same as your 10D,
only with less functionality (mostly).

Jim Townsend

gja1 wrote:

> Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
> version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
> extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
> a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

It won't fit directly, but there is a t-mount to EOS adapter..

http://t-mount-for-eos-canon.best-buy-camera.com/

Ray Fischer

gja1 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
>version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
>extreme distance photography.

Yes. I've already used it with a 2500mm telescope.

> I'm considering the 300D as I already have
>a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

Heh? Why would you want both?

--
Ray Fischer

Mark M

"gja1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
> version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
> extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already have
> a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

Yep.
It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it will
crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

ajacobs2

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blo94c$fn8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> gja1 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
> >version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
> >extreme distance photography.

> Yes. I've already used it with a 2500mm telescope.
>
> > I'm considering the 300D as I already have
> >a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

> Heh? Why would you want both?

It's called a backup.....

Simon Lee

Mark M choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons to spell
out:

> "gja1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will the digital rebel work with a T mount mirror lens as the film
>> version would? I have a 500 mm mirror lens I would like to use for
>> extreme distance photography. I'm considering the 300D as I already

have
>> a Canon EOS10D and four or five lenses.

> Yep.
> It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it

will
> crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
> 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
> problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

A friend lent me an old 500mm mirror which I tried out on my 10D
initially for some moon shots... they looked decent and I explained off
the slight fuzziness to the August atmosphere.
When I tried photographing the squirrels in my backyard with it,
the pictures had a "haze" to them, which was softness to some extent but
primarily a remarkable lack of contrast. Of course, your mileage may
vary and I was comparing the shots to a 70-200 2.8.

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

Larry Caldwell

(E-Mail Removed) (Mark M) writes:

> It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it will
> crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
> 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
> problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

I don't own a Canon, but I thought they had shake reduction. Am I
imagining things again?

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Mark M

"Larry Caldwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Mark M) writes:
>
> > It will produce similarly crappy mirror lens results, except that it

will
> > crop out the outer portion, leaving you with what appears similar to an
> > 800mm lens. This also means that camera movement will create greater
> > problems (when enlarging to similar sizes).

> I don't own a Canon, but I thought they had shake reduction. Am I
> imagining things again?

Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror lenses.
It is not a camera body feature.
BTW... I only mention the movement sensitivity because mirror lenses have a
fixed aperture--usually around f8 or worse, meaning they are virtually
unusable for moving subjects or hand-holding.

Larry Caldwell

(E-Mail Removed) (Mark M) writes:

> Canon stabilization is lens-based...and Canon doesn't make mirror lenses.
> It is not a camera body feature.

Interesting. I read a magazine article on image stabilization, and it
said they jiggled the CCD to compensate for camera shake. Is the sensor
in the lens, or does Canon use a different system?

The CCD servo system should work with any lens.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc