Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Olympus 5060 Announced

New Olympus 5060 Announced

Tink

Does anyone here who understands camera jargon better than I have a nutshell
comparison between the Olympus 5050 and the recently announced 5060?

Thanks!

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

Tink

Partially answering my own question here in case others are interested...

The 5050 allows for the use of standard AA cells which would be great, and
it also has a 1.8-2.8 aperture for better low light capability.

Those two differences alone sway me towards the 5050 as opposed to the new
release. The 5060 should be out next month, and maybe it will effect a price
drop on the 5050. If I can wait that long

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GFofb.5433291$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone here who understands camera jargon better than I have a

nutshell
> comparison between the Olympus 5050 and the recently announced 5060?

gr

"Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Partially answering my own question here in case others are interested...
>
> The 5050 allows for the use of standard AA cells which would be great, and
> it also has a 1.8-2.8 aperture for better low light capability.

The 5050 zoom is 1.8 on the wide end, and 2.6 on the long end. The bright
lens of the C5050 is one of the great features of it. The 5060 is 2.8 on the
wide end, and something like 4.8 on the long end! That alone, is enough to
make me think Olympus made a big mistake with this camera, unless they plan
to sell it for less than the 5050.

I have no idea why Olympus went to those damn proprietary batteries in the
C5060... again, a big mistake!

The good thing about the C5060 is the 27mm wide angle. That would be handy,
but again... it isn't worth sacrificing the fast lens to get it. You can
always get a wide-angle adapter for the C5050 if you need wide-angle ability
(or use the panorama function as a last resort).

The other benefit is supposedly a faster autofocus time. I'm not really sure
if this is much of a benefit, since anyone who needs low lag time uses
manual focus or pre-focus.

Oh, there's the higher-res movie mode of the 5060. That could prove useful,
but movies tend to be a gimmick most of the time and chew up card space real
fast! (And with the slow lens of the 5060, you'd be stuck shooting movies
outdoors only.)

I guess we'll have to wait and see some test results. I wouldn't hold off
buying the C5050, though, unless you really want the features the 5060 is
offering (and don't care about the slow zoom lens or proprietary batteries).

Charlie D

In article <1Mofb.5436428$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Partially answering my own question here in case others are interested...
>
> The 5050 allows for the use of standard AA cells which would be great, and
> it also has a 1.8-2.8 aperture for better low light capability.
>
> Those two differences alone sway me towards the 5050 as opposed to the new
> release. The 5060 should be out next month, and maybe it will effect a price
> drop on the 5050. If I can wait that long

You're on the right track.
One plus of the 5060 is that it supposedly fires the shutter with less
delay than the 5050 after pressing the button.
Another plus for the 5050 is that can use CF, SM and XD memory cards.
The 5060 has less of a selection if any. Only XD?

With the addition of closeup lenses I find my 5050 excellent for macro.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Tink

I think I'm sold on the 5050. After years of dealing with proprietary,
high-priced batteries, I love the flexibility of the 5050. And it comes with
an IR remote, something I planned to buy anyway. And I like the feel of
magnesium bodies. I think it will do the job for me.

I, too, had to wonder specifically about the logic of the changes in the
5060. From what I've gleaned from the web, the street price will be $799...
Same as the 5050 when it came out. That makes me think the 5050 may see a
nice price drop once the 5060 hits the streets in November.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bll66c$djhj0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> I guess we'll have to wait and see some test results. I wouldn't hold off
> buying the C5050, though, unless you really want the features the 5060 is
> offering (and don't care about the slow zoom lens or proprietary

batteries).

gr

"Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I, too, had to wonder specifically about the logic of the changes in the
> 5060. From what I've gleaned from the web, the street price will be

$799...
> Same as the 5050 when it came out. That makes me think the 5050 may see a
> nice price drop once the 5060 hits the streets in November.

I doubt you'll see a big price drop in the C5050. Probably a small one, but
that's just the usual price drop of electronics. It's going for around
$575USD now. I'd expect it to be selling for about $525-$550 for Christmas.

Hank Shiffman

"Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Partially answering my own question here in case others are interested...
>
> The 5050 allows for the use of standard AA cells which would be great, and
> it also has a 1.8-2.8 aperture for better low light capability.
>
> Those two differences alone sway me towards the 5050 as opposed to the new
> release. The 5060 should be out next month, and maybe it will effect a price
> drop on the 5050. If I can wait that long

The other thing I noticed is that the 5060 drops SmartMedia support. It
accepts xD cards and Compact Flash (including Microdrives). In its
favor is its 4X optical zoom.

--
Hank Shiffman http://www.disordered.org
Have Opinion, Will Travel http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Frank ess

"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bll771$dnb2t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >
> > I, too, had to wonder specifically about the logic of the changes in the
> > 5060. From what I've gleaned from the web, the street price will be

> $799...
> > Same as the 5050 when it came out. That makes me think the 5050 may see

> > nice price drop once the 5060 hits the streets in November.

> I doubt you'll see a big price drop in the C5050. Probably a small one,

but
> that's just the usual price drop of electronics. It's going for around
> $575USD now. I'd expect it to be selling for about $525-$550 for

Christmas.

I see Mr Nikon has reduced the price of the CP5700. Was that the shadow of a
300D in the background?

George

REALLY a big mistake on the batteries especially since Rayovac came out with
those 15 minute NiMH rechargeable AA (2000mAh) batteries. I've been using
them in my C4000, like them, and they are reasonably price (even the charger
which has a "rebate" that doesn't get you any $$$ back but does get you a
free cigarette lighter adapter for the charger). I paid about $30 for a
four battery charger with two batteries and an additional $13 for four more
batteries at a local discounter. You cannot believe how nice it is to be
able to get fully recharged batteries in 15 minutes at home or in the car...

"gr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bll66c$djhj0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Tink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Partially answering my own question here in case others are

interested...

> > The 5050 allows for the use of standard AA cells which would be great,

and
> > it also has a 1.8-2.8 aperture for better low light capability.

> The 5050 zoom is 1.8 on the wide end, and 2.6 on the long end. The bright
> lens of the C5050 is one of the great features of it. The 5060 is 2.8 on

the
> wide end, and something like 4.8 on the long end! That alone, is enough to
> make me think Olympus made a big mistake with this camera, unless they

plan
> to sell it for less than the 5050.
>
> I have no idea why Olympus went to those damn proprietary batteries in the
> C5060... again, a big mistake!
>
> The good thing about the C5060 is the 27mm wide angle. That would be

handy,
> but again... it isn't worth sacrificing the fast lens to get it. You can
> always get a wide-angle adapter for the C5050 if you need wide-angle

ability
> (or use the panorama function as a last resort).
>
> The other benefit is supposedly a faster autofocus time. I'm not really

sure
> if this is much of a benefit, since anyone who needs low lag time uses
> manual focus or pre-focus.
>
> Oh, there's the higher-res movie mode of the 5060. That could prove

useful,
> but movies tend to be a gimmick most of the time and chew up card space

real
> fast! (And with the slow lens of the 5060, you'd be stuck shooting movies
> outdoors only.)
>
> I guess we'll have to wait and see some test results. I wouldn't hold off
> buying the C5050, though, unless you really want the features the 5060 is
> offering (and don't care about the slow zoom lens or proprietary

batteries).

Giorgis

Guys the way I see this camera is simple.
Kind of like sideways development, you may not have interchangeable lenses
but you can get from a range of similar cameras, depending on your needs.

Considering the G3 -> G5
Now the 5050 -> 5060 I believe if both stay on the market as a camera is a
good thing.

They are different cameras with most of the advantages common. If Olympus
discontinues the 5050 that is a bad thing.

It makes me think though that improving on these cameras gives you
diminishing returns. Improving zoom on the 5050 without affecting the low
light qualities would cost too much.

Unless Olympus wants to make room for a higher end range.

Giorgis

PS: I own a 5050 and I am wrapped, I love it. I just show photos to my film
friend without knocking his machine. I keep saying vaguely Oh yea film is
better in some things and digital in others. As far as 4x3 prints goes I
can't think of any.