Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question

kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question

Phillean

I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
seems like a great package.

I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.

I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
megapixel output.

A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.

thank for any input

Phil

Ron Hunter

Phillean wrote:

> I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
> seems like a great package.
>
> I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
> with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
> for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
> familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
> times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
>
> I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
> the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
> megapixel output.
>
> A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
> documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
> so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
> a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
> but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
>
> thank for any input
>
> Phil
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

From the Steve's Digicam review:

The DX6440 is equiped with a high-quality Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
4X optical zoom lens with a focal range of 5.5-21.98mm (33 - 132 mm
equivalent in 35mm format). The aperture range is f/2.2 - 5.6 in wide
angle and from f/4.8 - 13 in telephoto.

The autofocus range is 19.7 inches to infinity in normal mode and in
close-up mode it covers from 3.9 to 23.6" in wideangle and from 9.8 to
33.5" in telephoto. The auto focus is high speed and low light capable
with selectable multi-zone or center-zone modes.

----
This lens should serve your needs well.
However, there are not a lot of manual controls on this camera, but
rather switch settings for various common uses. If you are interested
in maximum manual function for creativity, it might not be the camera
for you, but I sure would like to have one!

ArtKramr

>Subject: kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question
>From: "Phillean" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/3/03 3:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but this
>seems like a great package.
>
>I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
>with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual control
>for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I am
>familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
>times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
>
>I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak and
>the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level of
>megapixel output.
>
>A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
>documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are stored,
>so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field photography -
>a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in film
>but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
>
>thank for any input
>
>Phil
>
>(E-Mail Removed)

It has a Schneider lens so it can't be all bad.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Phillean

Ron

Thanks for your response

In addition to the things you mentioned there is also a manual setting which
gives aperature or shutter priority.

See the description of PAS on
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...X6440_pg2.html

Another feature that looks very good is the indoor /low light response.

Phil

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phillean wrote:
>
> > I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but

this
> > seems like a great package.
> >
> > I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good

auto
> > with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual

control
> > for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I

am
> > familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
> > times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
> >
> > I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak

and
> > the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each

level of
> > megapixel output.
> >
> > A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
> > documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are

stored,
> > so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field

photography -
> > a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in

film
> > but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
> >
> > thank for any input
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >

> From the Steve's Digicam review:
>
> The DX6440 is equiped with a high-quality Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
> 4X optical zoom lens with a focal range of 5.5-21.98mm (33 - 132 mm
> equivalent in 35mm format). The aperture range is f/2.2 - 5.6 in wide
> angle and from f/4.8 - 13 in telephoto.
>
> The autofocus range is 19.7 inches to infinity in normal mode and in
> close-up mode it covers from 3.9 to 23.6" in wideangle and from 9.8 to
> 33.5" in telephoto. The auto focus is high speed and low light capable
> with selectable multi-zone or center-zone modes.
>
> ----
> This lens should serve your needs well.
> However, there are not a lot of manual controls on this camera, but
> rather switch settings for various common uses. If you are interested
> in maximum manual function for creativity, it might not be the camera
> for you, but I sure would like to have one!

Phillean

Art

Yes the lens looks very good.

phil
"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Subject: kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question
> >From: "Phillean" (E-Mail Removed)
> >Date: 10/3/03 3:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >I am considering the Kodak dx6440, I was looking at other cameras but

this
> >seems like a great package.
> >
> >I need an in pocket camera with protected lens when not in use, good auto
> >with selectable auto mode for the family to use plus lots of manual

control
> >for me. I was considering the Canon S45 but the Kodak is lots cheaper. I

am
> >familiar with the specs for both camera and have used a Canon S40 a few
> >times so I know what that the S45 will feel like to use.
> >
> >I am interested to hear comments about the lens sharpness of the Kodak

and
> >the impact the Kodak compression which I understand is set for each level

of
> >megapixel output.
> >
> >A lesser need but something that may occur is photographing old family
> >documents, scanning is not really a possibility given where they are

stored,
> >so I am interested in the lens characteristics for flat field

photography -
> >a big ask for most standard cameras. I have the equipment to do this in

film
> >but a pocket digital would be a lot more convenient.
> >
> >thank for any input
> >
> >Phil
> >
> >(E-Mail Removed)
> >

> It has a Schneider lens so it can't be all bad.
>
> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: kodak dx6440 jpeg compression and lens sharpness question
>From: "Phillean" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/4/03 1:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Art
>
>Yes the lens looks very good.
>
>phil

They must be selling a zillion of them Every place I tried is out of stock and
waiting new shipments.