Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DVD vs VCD Slide Show

DVD vs VCD Slide Show

Dick Campbell

Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found that
the picture quality is not as good as I would like.

Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
from this software? Is the picture quality any better?

I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

Thanks,

Dick Campbell

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33:24 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dick Campbell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found that
>the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
>
>Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
>from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
>
>I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
>seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

Create a copy to your hard disk and check the quality of the mpeg files
yourself.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Eric Gisin

VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn all
formats to CDR.

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news2lfb.135156$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found that
| the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
|
| Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
| from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
|
| I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
| seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Dick Campbell

Dick Campbell

The original files are OK. The main concern is the pictures are slightly
compressed horizontally, apart from that they are not too bad, allowing for
the low resolution of TV.

I was wondering whether outputting onto an DVD instead of CD/VCD might be a
way to avoid this distortion.

Also I would be interested in any recommendations for DVD software. The
ULead product produces DVD PictureShows but I wondered whether a more
general DVD software package might provide more control.

Dick Campbell

"Ed Ruf" <EG*nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:33:24 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Dick Campbell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found

that
> >the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
> >
> >Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
> >from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
> >
> >I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
> >seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

> Create a copy to your hard disk and check the quality of the mpeg files
> yourself.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://members.cox.net/egruf
> See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
> http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Dick Campbell

Thanks,

That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.

It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
players deal with this?

"Eric Gisin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn

all
> formats to CDR.
>
> "Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news2lfb.135156$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found

that
> | the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
> |
> | Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD

output
> | from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
> |
> | I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
> | seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Dick Campbell

Eric Gisin

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Gofb.135409$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks,
|
| That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.
|
| It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
| players deal with this?

Nope. SVCD support is common now. No idea about 720x480. A computer will play
all of them.

| "Eric Gisin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn
| all
| > formats to CDR.

Eric Gisin

Check out photo vcd lite: http://www.nu2.nu/photovcd/

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news2lfb.135156$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found that
| the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
|
| Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD output
| from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
|
| I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
| seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

Kirks Camera Supply

Dick Campbell wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> That explains why the VCD picture quality is disappointing.
>
> It hadn't occured to me to burn DVD resolution onto a CDR. Can all DVD
> players deal with this?
>

> "Eric Gisin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn

> all
>
>>formats to CDR.
>>
>>"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news2lfb.135156$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>| Using Ulead's DVD Picture Show to produce VCD Slide Shows I have found

> that
>
>>| the picture quality is not as good as I would like.
>>|
>>| Is it worth investing in a DVD burner to take advantage of the DVD

> output
>
>>| from this software? Is the picture quality any better?
>>|
>>| I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
>>| seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.
>>|
>>| Thanks,
>>|
>>| Dick Campbell

VCD also supports up to 704x480 (NTSC) and 704x576 (PAL) still images.
VCDEASY is one program I use that creates beautiful still image VCD's
Not all DVD players support all formats. DVD players that play straight
jpeg are becoming popular now.

http://www.geocities.com/medinotes/v...ll_images.html

Jason O'Rourke

Dick Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I can't help noticing that the picture quality on commercial DVD movies
>seems to be better than the VCD Slide Shows.

I haven't done a formal test, but as someone else noted, vcd can do 700x500
class resolution. What resolution are you feeding into the process? Ones
that have already been reduced and get reconverted, or high rez originals?

And then you have dvd players that show jpegs directly - this is rarely a
good option because it takes so long to render each image.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Jason O'Rourke

Eric Gisin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>VCD is 350x240, SVCD is 480x480, and DVD (mpeg-2) is 720x480. You can burn all
>formats to CDR.

Very few dvd players can handle a CDR written as DVD format.

With the cost of DVD burners now going under 100 for single format, the
media cost is the big decider, as well as how much you have to pack onto
the disc.
--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com