Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Just how anonymous are my Usenet postings?

Just how anonymous are my Usenet postings?

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> The IP address in a header can be forged. It proves nothing.

Only if the server to which you're connected doesn't add the
NNTP-Posting-Host header itself, and/or doesn't add an X-Trace header
which contains the IP address.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Phil Foreskin

Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns940CBBB61C928VeebleFetzer@209.98.13.60>.. .
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > The IP address in a header can be forged. It proves nothing.

> Only if the server to which you're connected doesn't add the
> NNTP-Posting-Host header itself, and/or doesn't add an X-Trace header
> which contains the IP address.

That can be forged too.

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) om
(E-Mail Removed) (Phil Foreskin) wrote:

> Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<Xns940CBBB61C928VeebleFetzer@209.98.13.60>.. .
>> In news:(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > The IP address in a header can be forged. It proves nothing.

>> Only if the server to which you're connected doesn't add the
>> NNTP-Posting-Host header itself, and/or doesn't add an X-Trace header
>> which contains the IP address.

> That can be forged too.

As I said, only if the server doesn't add its own.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

JPS@no.komm

In message <Xns940D4B8803482VeebleFetzer@209.98.13.60>,
Bert Hyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As I said, only if the server doesn't add its own.

That's a big hole. It won't stop anyone who wants to do it, especially
if they have their own low-level access to the internet.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>