Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Free advice to newbies and others

Free advice to newbies and others

Bill Mcdonald

Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.

I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.

Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree.
Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
ICQ#138329143.
http://community.webshots.com/user/morongobill

Paul Heslop

Bill Mcdonald wrote:

> Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
> hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.
>
> I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
> starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
> files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
> virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!
>
> It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
> medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
> experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
> old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.
>
> Bill Mcdonald in Joshua Tree.
> Olympus E-10, Olympus IS-3 DLX.
> ICQ#138329143.
> http://community.webshots.com/user/morongobill

It's not just this group, Bill, it's ALL NGs. My ISP has internal groups
and people are getting the same from them.

--
Paul. (She took his ring, took his babies)
Not what it seems...

Brothermark

> I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
> starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
> files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
> virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

That's just a coincidence.
Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

Petter Settli

Bill Mcdonald wrote:
> Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address. Get a
> hotmail,yahoo etc acct and use it.
>
> I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
> starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
> files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
> virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!
>
> It used to be you worried you'd be spammed with porn or herbal
> medicines or get rich quick schemes, not anymore, at least that's my
> experience! My lycos account which I used to give gets full of that
> old style spam, but this new stuff is really malicious.

I'm a lurker here (posted once before) and as regards me, it's too late.
I've posted with my real address and I'm getting hammered. Something
between two to four megabytes a day (maybe more), day in and day out
(dialup connection). I'm running an antivirus program and have set up
OE not to open attachments and turned off the HTML thing and have
downloaded all the Security Updates from Microsoft. My machine is clean,
but my address is out there and I have no idea how to stop this crap.
I've thought of contacting my ISP and changing my user name but if I do
that, I then have to contact everyone on my address list, plus some
subscription things I subscribe to, and I might still not be safe,
because...if I understand how this works, if someone in my address book
is infected, I'll just get reinfected all over again.

PS
--
I've munged my address. Change offline to online to mail.

Enough

In article <3f7c3a31.2976019@localhost>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Mcdonald) wrote:

> Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address.

WOW, U R A GENIUS! WHo would have EVER thought of that!

--
Enough <(E-Mail Removed)>

Enough

In article <blhi0g$c8p2h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
"Brothermark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I say this because I use my excite account here when I post and
> > starting about a month ago I have been bombarded with 150kb
> > files allegedly from Microsoft technical support which are most likely
> > virus's or worms etc. DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!

> That's just a coincidence.
> Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?

Inquiring minds want to know!

--
Enough <(E-Mail Removed)>

Brothermark

> > That's just a coincidence.
> > Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

> Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know!

Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
people's machines

Brothermark

> > Fwiw if you post here don't use your main email address.

> WOW, U R A GENIUS! WHo would have EVER thought of that!

sarcasm sucks. He said "fwiw" suggesting that he already knew that what he
was saying was not ground-breaking.
Lay off the guy.

Paul Heslop

Brothermark wrote:

> > > That's just a coincidence.
> > > Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

> > Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
> >
> > Inquiring minds want to know!

> Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
> The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
> people's machines

agreed

--
Paul. (She took his ring, took his babies)
Not what it seems...
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Ron Hunter

Brothermark wrote:

>>>That's just a coincidence.
>>>Those emails are being sent to anyone and everyone

>>Really? Then why haven't I received a SINGLE one?
>>
>>Inquiring minds want to know!

> Maybe because your email address isn't stored in anyone's address book.
> The virus email just sent its message to any email address it could find on
> people's machines

The addresses for the current Swen virus/worm attack were harvested from
some particular newsgroups, Netscape/mozilla, for one. My wife, who
never visits newsgroups, hasn't received a single one.