Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Automated Redeye Tool?

Automated Redeye Tool?

Christopher

I've got a large collection of digital images that have
redeye problems. What I'd like to do is pipe them
through a program that automatically removes the redeye.
Ideally this would be a linux/unix tool.

It's okay if this program occassionally misses - I've got many
images and for this task speed is more important than absolute
precision.

I've scoured the web for such a tool but have so far come up empty.

I'm wondering if anyone has a pointer to such a tool? Thanks
in advance for any help!

Don Coon

How would you expect this program to work? IOW, how would you write the
code?

If you're expecting a program to locate all eyes in an image, check them for
redeye, then correct then, I'm sure this is all but impossible.

Computer aided is the best you'll get.

Good Luck!

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

MJ@MJ.com

On 1 Oct 2003 11:09:37 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Christopher)
wrote:

>I've got a large collection of digital images that have
>redeye problems. What I'd like to do is pipe them
>through a program that automatically removes the redeye.
>Ideally this would be a linux/unix tool.
>
>It's okay if this program occassionally misses - I've got many
>images and for this task speed is more important than absolute
>precision.
>
>I've scoured the web for such a tool but have so far come up empty.
>
>I'm wondering if anyone has a pointer to such a tool? Thanks
>in advance for any help!

The closest you'll probably come to this is something like the redeye
filter that I extracted from a Photodeluxe program and works in
Photoshop. You just run a selection box around the eye, hit the filter
and away goes the red. It's a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it works
well, sometimes not. It depends on the picture. Good quality works
well. Pixellated grainy crap not so well. As for the level of
automation that you require............

MJ