Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > automatic picture taking at sports event

automatic picture taking at sports event

I_dunno_anythin

I am looking for some guidance and pointers to assist me in a new project.
What I wish to achieve is the following.
A sports event will take place with about 5000 participants. Each one
carries an electronic tag which contains a microchip with information about
the person . At the end of the race, I want to take a picture perhaps a few
pictures of each participant as they complete the course. I then want to
print out these pictures together with relevant information such as the
finishing time. My question is, how do I do the picture taking
automatically? Should I be using a digital camera with some sort of
electronic switch or should I consider using a digital video recorder? I'm
really looking for advice to get me going on the right track. In an ideal
world, the microchip would trigger the picture taking as the participant
crosses the line and would then automatically upload two or three pictures
to the central database with the other information carried in the chip such
as the time, name etc.

Giorgis

Hmmm ... we are watching you, pretty scary stuff

What are you going to do with the picture ?
If it is to print them for an album, I doubt you can get any good ones
without a human.

I would attach a camera to a PC with a hardrive. As they are approaching
start snapping (automated), and even as they pass the line.

I would have the means to record exact time of line crossing from the
tag. Then I would go through and screen the photos for the respective
people.

lets see, considering 5000, most would cross the line in groups So I
would say about a photo per person is more tha enough. Because we can we can
have say 5.

25,000 photos at 3 megs each 75GB hardrive. That is a pretty standard
hardrive, make it 120G.

In fact I would have two cameras, 20 meters behind the line. One camera
at 50 degrees to the finish line, and one at 5 degrees.

Giorgis

"I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bldndg$ar0hj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I am looking for some guidance and pointers to assist me in a new project.
> What I wish to achieve is the following.
> A sports event will take place with about 5000 participants. Each one
> carries an electronic tag which contains a microchip with information

about
> the person . At the end of the race, I want to take a picture perhaps a

few
> pictures of each participant as they complete the course. I then want to
> print out these pictures together with relevant information such as the
> finishing time. My question is, how do I do the picture taking
> automatically? Should I be using a digital camera with some sort of
> electronic switch or should I consider using a digital video recorder?

I'm
> really looking for advice to get me going on the right track. In an ideal
> world, the microchip would trigger the picture taking as the participant
> crosses the line and would then automatically upload two or three pictures
> to the central database with the other information carried in the chip

such
> as the time, name etc.

I_dunno_anythin

Yep it's a challenge allright ! The pictures are to be printed out using an
onsite mini lab preferably with the time of the runner and some other facts.
Something for them to take away on the day .
How to achieve automatic picture taking ? I have free reign on price and
equipment to use.
Kid in the candy store in many ways

Giorgis wrote:
> Hmmm ... we are watching you, pretty scary stuff
>
> What are you going to do with the picture ?
> If it is to print them for an album, I doubt you can get any good ones
> without a human.
>
> I would attach a camera to a PC with a hardrive. As they are
> approaching start snapping (automated), and even as they pass the
> line.
>
> I would have the means to record exact time of line crossing from
> the tag. Then I would go through and screen the photos for the
> respective people.
>
> lets see, considering 5000, most would cross the line in groups
> So I would say about a photo per person is more tha enough. Because
> we can we can have say 5.
>
> 25,000 photos at 3 megs each 75GB hardrive. That is a pretty standard
> hardrive, make it 120G.
>
> In fact I would have two cameras, 20 meters behind the line. One
> camera at 50 degrees to the finish line, and one at 5 degrees.
>
> Giorgis
>

> "I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bldndg$ar0hj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> I am looking for some guidance and pointers to assist me in a new
>> project. What I wish to achieve is the following.
>> A sports event will take place with about 5000 participants. Each one
>> carries an electronic tag which contains a microchip with
>> information about the person . At the end of the race, I want to
>> take a picture perhaps a few pictures of each participant as they
>> complete the course. I then want to print out these pictures
>> together with relevant information such as the finishing time. My
>> question is, how do I do the picture taking automatically? Should I
>> be using a digital camera with some sort of electronic switch or
>> should I consider using a digital video recorder?

> I'm
>> really looking for advice to get me going on the right track. In an
>> ideal world, the microchip would trigger the picture taking as the
>> participant crosses the line and would then automatically upload two
>> or three pictures to the central database with the other information
>> carried in the chip such as the time, name etc.

Jeff

"I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bleadg$afdrc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Yep it's a challenge allright ! The pictures are to be printed out
> using an onsite mini lab preferably with the time of the runner and
> some other facts. Something for them to take away on the day .
> How to achieve automatic picture taking ? I have free reign on price
> and equipment to use.
> Kid in the candy store in many ways

Since they are microchipping the racers, they must have a computerized
timing system that you could link to for the database information and
triggering the cameras.
You may need custom software written to superimpose the database
information on a picture file automatically.
Many races have a clock posted at the finish line. If you include that
clock in the picture, you could get away without using a computer to add
the time afterwards.
I'm not sure how fast a minilab prints, but I would think you would need
more than one to print the pictures fast enough to get them in the
competitor's hands before they leave.
An alternative would be to copy the picture files to a floppy disc
instead, along with a small text file containing the database
information. The racers could then print them later at home or at a
minilab as they see fit.

> Giorgis wrote:
>> Hmmm ... we are watching you, pretty scary stuff
>>
>> What are you going to do with the picture ?
>> If it is to print them for an album, I doubt you can get any good
>> ones without a human.
>>
>> I would attach a camera to a PC with a hardrive. As they are
>> approaching start snapping (automated), and even as they pass the
>> line.
>>
>> I would have the means to record exact time of line crossing from
>> the tag. Then I would go through and screen the photos for the
>> respective people.
>>
>> lets see, considering 5000, most would cross the line in groups
>> So I would say about a photo per person is more tha enough. Because
>> we can we can have say 5.
>>
>> 25,000 photos at 3 megs each 75GB hardrive. That is a pretty standard
>> hardrive, make it 120G.
>>
>> In fact I would have two cameras, 20 meters behind the line. One
>> camera at 50 degrees to the finish line, and one at 5 degrees.
>>
>> Giorgis
>>

>> "I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bldndg$ar0hj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>> I am looking for some guidance and pointers to assist me in a new
>>> project. What I wish to achieve is the following.
>>> A sports event will take place with about 5000 participants. Each
>>> one carries an electronic tag which contains a microchip with
>>> information about the person . At the end of the race, I want to
>>> take a picture perhaps a few pictures of each participant as they
>>> complete the course. I then want to print out these pictures
>>> together with relevant information such as the finishing time. My
>>> question is, how do I do the picture taking automatically? Should I
>>> be using a digital camera with some sort of electronic switch or
>>> should I consider using a digital video recorder?

>> I'm
>>> really looking for advice to get me going on the right track. In an
>>> ideal world, the microchip would trigger the picture taking as the
>>> participant crosses the line and would then automatically upload two
>>> or three pictures to the central database with the other information
>>> carried in the chip such as the time, name etc.

I_dunno_anythin

Yes you are absolutely correct. There is a computerised timing system which
writes the info into a database. I am trying to find out how to use this
system to trigger the picture(s) taking as the runners arrive at the finish.
As they cross the mats the chip is triggered and fires off info into the
system > But how to harness this action into a picture taking action also?
What sort of camera do I need? Video or Still ? These are the areas of
advice for which I am seeking help.
The minilab is capable of up to 1400 picutes/hour so as the race will take
up to 6 hours for all runners to finish, there should be just enough time.

Jeff wrote:
> "I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bleadg$afdrc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
>> Yep it's a challenge allright ! The pictures are to be printed out
>> using an onsite mini lab preferably with the time of the runner and
>> some other facts. Something for them to take away on the day .
>> How to achieve automatic picture taking ? I have free reign on price
>> and equipment to use.
>> Kid in the candy store in many ways
>>

> Since they are microchipping the racers, they must have a computerized
> timing system that you could link to for the database information and
> triggering the cameras.
> You may need custom software written to superimpose the database
> information on a picture file automatically.
> Many races have a clock posted at the finish line. If you include
> that clock in the picture, you could get away without using a
> computer to add the time afterwards.
> I'm not sure how fast a minilab prints, but I would think you would
> need more than one to print the pictures fast enough to get them in
> the competitor's hands before they leave.
> An alternative would be to copy the picture files to a floppy disc
> instead, along with a small text file containing the database
> information. The racers could then print them later at home or at a
> minilab as they see fit.
>

>> Giorgis wrote:
>>> Hmmm ... we are watching you, pretty scary stuff
>>>
>>> What are you going to do with the picture ?
>>> If it is to print them for an album, I doubt you can get any good
>>> ones without a human.
>>>
>>> I would attach a camera to a PC with a hardrive. As they are
>>> approaching start snapping (automated), and even as they pass the
>>> line.
>>>
>>> I would have the means to record exact time of line crossing
>>> from the tag. Then I would go through and screen the photos for the
>>> respective people.
>>>
>>> lets see, considering 5000, most would cross the line in groups
>>> So I would say about a photo per person is more tha enough. Because
>>> we can we can have say 5.
>>>
>>> 25,000 photos at 3 megs each 75GB hardrive. That is a pretty
>>> standard hardrive, make it 120G.
>>>
>>> In fact I would have two cameras, 20 meters behind the line. One
>>> camera at 50 degrees to the finish line, and one at 5 degrees.
>>>
>>> Giorgis
>>>

>>> "I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bldndg$ar0hj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>>> I'm

Jeff

Contact the manufacturer of the timing system to find what outputs their
system has for triggering external equipment. They should have
provisions for a "photo-finish" camera at the finish line.
A video camera connected to a capture card in a PC would likely be the
simplest, if not the best quality, way to get pictures if you work out
the triggering situation. The timing system manufacturer may already
have thought of this and have the necessary hardware and software
available. A human at the PC may be needed to transfer the image file
to the minilab.
A still camera that has a wired remote (Kodak DCS720, for example) could
work. You could take several pictures then swap memory cards when there
is a sufficient gap in the runners and take the card to the minilab for
printing. Manual focus would be needed to avoid the autofocus time lag
after triggering the exposure.
You could also contact the organizers of other races to see if they have
tried to do this and what their solution was.

"I_dunno_anythin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:blg73h$bsfc7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de: