Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > S45 or S50 (again)

S45 or S50 (again)

CNT

I am still going for the Canon S45 (4MP). I just want to make sure I am
understanding this clearly. The S50 makes image noise only at 50-100
settings? All others, 200-400, it will be beautiful? IF that's the case,
then I would better off with the 5MP since I would almost only shoot at 400
(maybe I would drop to 200 for fun)? Right? But I will be learning and
practicing with this new one.

I am asking because I am not anywhere near experts on digital imaging.
Please prove me images that shows the noise. I looked in the dpreview and
compare the images, they all look alike (just little more smear than the
Nikons at very close-ups). I am still watching for the prices around, would
like to buy it when it's near $300.

Thank you for reply.

Chuck

Ben T. Cohen

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am still going for the Canon S45 (4MP). I just want to make sure I am
> understanding this clearly. The S50 makes image noise only at 50-100
> settings? All others, 200-400, it will be beautiful? IF that's the case,
> then I would better off with the 5MP since I would almost only shoot at 400
> (maybe I would drop to 200 for fun)? Right? But I will be learning and
> practicing with this new one.
>
> I am asking because I am not anywhere near experts on digital imaging.
> Please prove me images that shows the noise. I looked in the dpreview and
> compare the images, they all look alike (just little more smear than the
> Nikons at very close-ups). I am still watching for the prices around, would
> like to buy it when it's near $300.
>
> Thank you for reply.
>
> Chuck

First of all, the S50 does well at ISO 50 and 100 but noisy at
anything higher. You have it backwards, asshole. Second, this was one
of the most discussed subjects on this newsgroup. Couldn't you do a
little research on your own? Check the archives? You stupid ****.
Besides, all the major reviewers agree that the S45 is the better
camera. And I hate cheapskates like you. The S45 will be off the
shelves soon so buy it while you can, dumb ****!

CNT

I did search, only found few information. So, I post this question to make
sure. I think I was wise to do that. At least I stand correct now. To go
little further to educate you, we learn from our mistakes, don't we?

Chuck

I hope I corrected the English.

> First of all, the S50 does well at ISO 50 and 100 but noisy at
> anything higher. You have it backwards, friend. Second, this was one
> of the most discussed subjects on this newsgroup. Couldn't you do a
> little research on your own? Check the archives? You should try harder.
> Besides, all the major reviewers agree that the S45 is the better
> camera. And I like you. The S45 will be off the
> shelves soon so buy it while you can, smile!

ABC

I researched long to decide to buy the S45 instead of S50. The noise
level is better,even at ISO 100-- but then only at low light scene. If
you shoot mostly bright pictures, the extra pixel may be better for
enlargement.

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 03:34:37 GMT, "CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrotd:

>I did search, only found few information. So, I post this question to make
>sure. I think I was wise to do that. At least I stand correct now. To go
>little further to educate you, we learn from our mistakes, don't we?
>
>Chuck

ABC
Do not reply by email. Reply to Newsgroup

CNT

Thanks for reply. I shoot mostly inside the house (kids doing stuff or just
growing memories). I do would like to be able to do enlargements, but I
think I should be OK with 8x10's for my hall. I shoot outdoor too
(landscapes). It is now my understanding that the low light is the important
issue, thus the S45 be better (I use Auto almost all the time, yet).

What are the ISO range "Auto" settings use (for S45)?

Chuck

> I researched long to decide to buy the S45 instead of S50. The noise
> level is better,even at ISO 100-- but then only at low light scene. If
> you shoot mostly bright pictures, the extra pixel may be better for
> enlargement.

ABC

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:18:41 GMT, "CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What are the ISO range "Auto" settings use (for S45)?

50 to 150.

I think you should download a copy of the manual. Read it and then
decide

http://www.canon-asia.com/supports/CJ.html

ABC
Please do not reply by email.Reply to NG

VT

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:18:41 GMT, "CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for reply. I shoot mostly inside the house (kids doing stuff or just
>growing memories). I do would like to be able to do enlargements, but I
>think I should be OK with 8x10's for my hall. I shoot outdoor too
>(landscapes). It is now my understanding that the low light is the important
>issue, thus the S45 be better (I use Auto almost all the time, yet).

Chuck,

Indoors - if you're just going to use Auto - then the camera is going
to use Flash -
so you're very UNlikely to be doing any real low-light/available-light
photos.

If you want to do landscapes - the higher the pixel count the better.

So it sounds as though you may be better off getting the Canon S50 -
which I think brings you back to full circle

--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

Gav

I thought long and hard about this myself, seemed that people said S45 was
better than S50. In the end I got mine direct from canon which meant the S50
was the only option (S45 is discontinued). I must say that I'm very happy
with the camera, no issue with image quality what so ever. Taken night shots
and they look great, only thing I'm not too keen on is the AiAF but as far
as I'm aware thats on both cameras anyway and I turn it off. Possibly the
S45 is the better of the 2 but I think you'll find you'll be happy with S50.

Gav

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am still going for the Canon S45 (4MP). I just want to make sure I am
> understanding this clearly. The S50 makes image noise only at 50-100
> settings? All others, 200-400, it will be beautiful? IF that's the case,
> then I would better off with the 5MP since I would almost only shoot at

400
> (maybe I would drop to 200 for fun)? Right? But I will be learning and
> practicing with this new one.
>
> I am asking because I am not anywhere near experts on digital imaging.
> Please prove me images that shows the noise. I looked in the dpreview and
> compare the images, they all look alike (just little more smear than the
> Nikons at very close-ups). I am still watching for the prices around,

would
> like to buy it when it's near $300.
>
> Thank you for reply.
>
> Chuck

Morgan Ohlson

"Ben T. Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> First of all, the S50 does well at ISO 50 and 100 but noisy at
> anything higher. You have it backwards, asshole. Second, this was one
> of the most discussed subjects on this newsgroup. Couldn't you do a
> little research on your own? Check the archives? You stupid ****.
> Besides, all the major reviewers agree that the S45 is the better
> camera.

Compared to it's own Mpix-class, yes!

I havn't seen any direct comparison S45 vs S50!

I compared the test chart photos from DPReview (if I remember right) and the
S50 holds around 20% higher resolution.... Isn't 50$ / ?50 fair just to get
that resolution!?

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

"ABC" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I researched long to decide to buy the S45 instead of S50. The noise
> level is better,even at ISO 100-- but then only at low light scene. If
> you shoot mostly bright pictures, the extra pixel may be better for
> enlargement.

I intend to use s45 or s50 for digiscoping (digicam + spottingscope) with
lite (simple) adapters. At that high magnifications ligt will almost allways
be a problem.

Are the differences big between the two at 200 and 400iso?

Morgan O.

S45/S50 CNT Digital Photography 18 10-22-2003 01:12 PM
last time - S45/S50 CNT Digital Photography 6 10-08-2003 01:18 PM
S45 or S50 (again) CNT Digital Photography 0 10-02-2003 09:21 PM
Olympus C750 - Canon S45 / S50 - newbie - first digi Tim Digital Photography 9 09-26-2003 06:37 PM
canon waterproof case for s45/s50 Kev Richards Digital Photography 1 08-15-2003 10:35 PM

Advertisments