Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A70, horizontal lines and autofocus noise.

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon A70, horizontal lines and autofocus noise.

 
 
Roger W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2003
I recently purchased a Canon A70 to replace a stolen A60.
There are issues that exist with the A70 that did NOT exist with the
A60.

1 - Horizontal Lines when zooming. I did not get this on my A60 and
never noticed this on my cousins A70.

2 - There is a "grinding" when focusing that did not exist on my A60,
my cousins A70, or the store demo. This could have something to do
with #4 below. This noise is also audible when powering down the
camera. it sounds like a gear is misaligned.

3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but could
this have been a return?

4 - The pictures don't look as sharp as the A70. I'm basing this on
the amount of noise when the picture is displayed at actual size.
Even when both are taken at a 2mp resolution, the A70 shows noticably
more noise than my old A60. I need to play with the ISO setting which
for came locked at iso50, but I adjusted to auto, which I have since
locked back at 60 after grainy pictures.

I'm thinking of returning this item. I'm very frustrated. The A60 I
owned was a wonderful camera with none of the faults listed above.
Has the QA gone down on these camera's?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zol.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2003
There has been a few reports of noisy lens & LCD noise - it may well be
quality control, I would take it back and try others out in the store until
you are happy with a replacement ... Zol.

"Roger W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I recently purchased a Canon A70 to replace a stolen A60.
> There are issues that exist with the A70 that did NOT exist with the
> A60.
>
> 1 - Horizontal Lines when zooming. I did not get this on my A60 and
> never noticed this on my cousins A70.
>
> 2 - There is a "grinding" when focusing that did not exist on my A60,
> my cousins A70, or the store demo. This could have something to do
> with #4 below. This noise is also audible when powering down the
> camera. it sounds like a gear is misaligned.
>
> 3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
> non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but could
> this have been a return?
>
> 4 - The pictures don't look as sharp as the A70. I'm basing this on
> the amount of noise when the picture is displayed at actual size.
> Even when both are taken at a 2mp resolution, the A70 shows noticably
> more noise than my old A60. I need to play with the ISO setting which
> for came locked at iso50, but I adjusted to auto, which I have since
> locked back at 60 after grainy pictures.
>
> I'm thinking of returning this item. I'm very frustrated. The A60 I
> owned was a wonderful camera with none of the faults listed above.
> Has the QA gone down on these camera's?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
C. T. K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2003
"Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote in message news:<Qnkeb.173532$B%(E-Mail Removed)>...
> There has been a few reports of noisy lens & LCD noise - it may well be
> quality control, I would take it back and try others out in the store until
> you are happy with a replacement ... Zol.
>
> "Roger W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I recently purchased a Canon A70 to replace a stolen A60.
> > There are issues that exist with the A70 that did NOT exist with the
> > A60.


[lines omitted]

> > 4 - The pictures don't look as sharp as the A70. I'm basing this on
> > the amount of noise when the picture is displayed at actual size.
> > Even when both are taken at a 2mp resolution, the A70 shows noticably
> > more noise than my old A60. I need to play with the ISO setting which
> > for came locked at iso50, but I adjusted to auto, which I have since
> > locked back at 60 after grainy pictures.
> >
> > I'm thinking of returning this item. I'm very frustrated. The A60 I
> > owned was a wonderful camera with none of the faults listed above.
> > Has the QA gone down on these camera's?


I had a quality problem with my Canon A70 (that "Zol." was kind enough to help
me with) and I ended up returning it. With my first A70, portions of the image
were out of focus. Since replacing it with another A70, though, I've not had
any problems.
 
Reply With Quote
 
chibitul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Roger W) wrote:
>
> 3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
> non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but could
> this have been a return?


Same thing happened with my gf's A70. We were a bit concerned about it,
but then we saw the picture on the box also without sticker. everything
else was sealed, and the box looked unopened (but powershot boxes are
not sealed, at least for A10 and A70).

Camera was fine, none of the problems you mention (except the sticker,
of course). And she would have removed the sticker anyway, so no big
deal.

could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
sticker? Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Quaoar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-01-2003
chibitul wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Roger W) wrote:
>>
>> 3 - The "feature" sticker that came on the front/top of the A60 was
>> non existant on my A70. It didn't look used out of the box, but
>> could this have been a return?

>
> Same thing happened with my gf's A70. We were a bit concerned about
> it, but then we saw the picture on the box also without sticker.
> everything else was sealed, and the box looked unopened (but
> powershot boxes are not sealed, at least for A10 and A70).
>
> Camera was fine, none of the problems you mention (except the sticker,
> of course). And she would have removed the sticker anyway, so no big
> deal.
>
> could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
> sticker? Thanks


My G3 came both sealed in the box and with a complete set of stickers
covering the entire front of the camera. Additionally, Canon has been
assembling the contents with a yellow sheet of paper on the top of the
contents, the first thing seen when opening the box: "Do not connect the
camera with the USB cable until all software and drivers have been
installed", or something similar. For XP's screwed up hardware
installation wizard. [my experience with two G3's, one personal, one my
son purchased - two is not a statistic, I realize!] Some of the big box
stores seem to have a practice of opening their boxes for some strange
reason.

Q


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Chastain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-01-2003
"Roger W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> 1 - Horizontal Lines when zooming. I did not get this on my A60 and
> never noticed this on my cousins A70.


My A70 does that too, and others have said the same here in the past. It
only affects the lcd display while zooming, not the taken image, so I ignore
it. But like you, I do wish it didn't do that.

> 2 - There is a "grinding" when focusing that did not exist on my A60,
> my cousins A70, or the store demo. This could have something to do
> with #4 below. This noise is also audible when powering down the
> camera. it sounds like a gear is misaligned.


Not with mine.

Bruce.


 
Reply With Quote
 
C. T. K.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-02-2003
chibitul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) >...

[lines omitted]

> could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
> sticker? Thanks


Both A70s that I got, along with one I tried at the store, had the "features"
stickers on the camera bodies. There were stickers on the front near the lens,
and on the top, next to the settings dial.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Fritz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-08-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (C. T. K.) wrote:
>> could other A70 owners specify if their cameras came with or without
>> sticker? Thanks

>
> Both A70s that I got, along with one I tried at the store, had the
> "features" stickers on the camera bodies.


I just got an A70 from OfficeMax. (Back ordered for 2 weeks.) It had no
"features" stickers on it, but it was pretty clearly an unopened box.

Gary
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get rid of horizontal and vertical lines in DataGrid zhivago ASP .Net Datagrid Control 1 03-20-2006 03:42 PM
FS : Canon 70-200mm 2.8 USM / Canon 2.X II Autofocus Rod Bruno Digital Photography 8 02-20-2004 10:28 PM
Canon 10D low light autofocus problems? Bernd Digital Photography 6 11-18-2003 07:17 AM
Canon EOS 10D & Autofocus in very low light Luuk Houwen Digital Photography 15 09-29-2003 10:44 AM
Relisys 786 on NVIDIA VANTA gray lines horizontal across icons and images David Computer Support 1 08-04-2003 03:30 PM



Advertisments