Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > sensor dust

sensor dust

Andrew

Which is responsible for more sensor dust on SLRs?

A) The bellows action of zoom lenses
B) Changing lenses

Andrew

Jim Townsend

Andrew wrote:

> Which is responsible for more sensor dust on SLRs?
>
> A) The bellows action of zoom lenses

FWIW, I've had far LESS problem with sensor dust since I started using my Canon
100-400L lens.

The 100-400L is a push-pull zoom and it acts as a -major- bellows.. You can
feel (and even hear) a strong breeze blowing from it when you zoom in or out
quickly.

I don't know this for a fact, but I really believe it keeps the sensor cleaner
by blowing dust off the surface..

> B) Changing lenses

I bought my 10D with one lens.. I used it for a week and never saw any sensor
dust.. until I bought my second lens and started swapping. Then it happened.

I have five lenses now, but as I say, the 100-400L seems to have minimized the
problem. I do use it a lot.

Of course, buying an SLR with interchangeable lenses and not changing lenses is
silly

Fred Mueller

I'm buying a Rebel DSLR soon. What's the recommended procedure to remove
sensor dust?

Tomash Bednarz

canon recommends blower, but from my experience it's not efficient way
u can go to closest canon service and they do excellent cleaning in 5
minutes
or u can try to use such as eclipse solutions etc... go to dpreview.com
forum, there is many talks about this problem
kind regards,
Tomash