Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendations for Time Lapse Photography - Interval Shooting (correction)

Recommendations for Time Lapse Photography - Interval Shooting (correction)

No Left Turn

Hi Group

I want to find an inexpensive, 1 - 2 megapixel camera
to do time lapse photography.

Set up the camera on a tripod, in a field, leave it a few hours kinda
stuff. Click, wait 20 seconds, click , wait twenty seconds, click, wait
twenty seconds..

Here are some parameters.

- Compact flash preferred
- Socket for tripod needed.
- AA battery powered
- Not computer/connected controlled...

Any older Cannon, or Kodaks that will do this?
I have a Nikon 950 that has around 1,500 shots on the odometer. But no
time lapse buttons.

Thanks!

Reply to the group or remove the nospam and reply to

Martin Francis

"No Left Turn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group
>
> I want to find an inexpensive, 1 - 2 megapixel camera
> to do time lapse photography.

Olympus E10 can do this, but it's a little more expensive (say $600 used?)
and is rounded off to the nearest minute.

--
Martin
Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993

Tony Whitaker

"No Left Turn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I want to find an inexpensive, 1 - 2 megapixel camera
> to do time lapse photography.

I just bought an MC-EU1 remote controller cord for my Coolpix 5000. It
allows you to do time-lapse photography, and it also works with the Coolpix
4300, 4500, and 5700. You can set an interval in increments of 1 second
from 2 minutes to 24 hours.

And I just remembered - my old Kodak DC-265 could do it. That's a great
camera, and they sell cheap on Ebay (I know - I sold mine there):
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...odak_dc265.asp

--
To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

ralford

Are you sure the minimum is 1 sec? I interpret the documentation as a 1min
minimum?

rma

"Tony Whitaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "No Left Turn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
> > I want to find an inexpensive, 1 - 2 megapixel camera
> > to do time lapse photography.

> I just bought an MC-EU1 remote controller cord for my Coolpix 5000. It
> allows you to do time-lapse photography, and it also works with the

Coolpix
> 4300, 4500, and 5700. You can set an interval in increments of 1 second
> from 2 minutes to 24 hours.
>
> And I just remembered - my old Kodak DC-265 could do it. That's a great
> camera, and they sell cheap on Ebay (I know - I sold mine there):
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...odak_dc265.asp
>

> --
> To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

Tony Whitaker

"ralford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VUleb.598$(E-Mail Removed):

> Are you sure the minimum is 1 sec? I interpret the documentation as a
> 1min minimum?

I haven't used it yet. Here's what the manual says exactly:
"In these [Interval A and Interval B] modes, you can take photographs one
after the other at a specified interval, which can be set in increments of
1 second to any value from two minutes to twenty-four hours.".

I think that's pretty clear. You can set an interval of 2 minutes. You can
set an interval of 24 hours. You can set an interval anywhere in-between 2
minutes and 24 hours. You can set an interval with units as fine as 1
second.

Hell. Let me try it and see for myself. I'll post again in a few minutes.

The point might be moot, however, because the cheapest MC-EU1 option here
is to buy the Nikon 4300 for $400 + the MC-EU1 for $100 = $500.

There are many Kodak DC-260s, DC-265s, and DC-290s right now on Ebay that
look like they'll all go for under $200. The DC-260s look like they might
go for Under $75! Man - people don't realize how good those cameras are.

--

> Hell. Let me try it and see for myself. I'll post again in a few minutes.

Yep. That's how it works. You set an interval in terms of
hours:minutes:seconds. You can actually set an interval under 2 minutes,
but it won't work. The display flashes, and no pictures are taken. The only
difference betwee "Interval A" mode and "Interval B" mode is when the first
picture is taken. In A mode, the first pic is taken when you press the
button. In B mode, the first pic is taken after the first interval has
elapsed.

It's kinda lame, though, that you can't select a shorter interval than 2
mintes. The Kodaks I mentioned can use an interval as short as 1 minute,
and the time-lapse feature is all built-into the camera - no special cord
required.

--
To email me, type my 1st name before my last.