Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What requirements would force you to go to 11MP from a 6MP DSLR ?

What requirements would force you to go to 11MP from a 6MP DSLR ?

Al Dykes

All other things being equal what kinds of work would
force you to upgrade to the Canon 1Ds, for instance.

- extreme telephoto, more pixels let you crop out a usable picture.
- extremely large prints to be examined close-up.
- fashion magazine cover shots ?

All of these are sort of obvious, I'm looking for a ideas that
give me a better idea of when 6MP finallu taps out.

Thanks

--
Al Dykes
-----------

JK

Al Dykes wrote:

> All other things being equal what kinds of work would
> force you to upgrade to the Canon 1Ds, for instance.

Wedding photography, where people expect medium format quality 8"x10"
prints. Weddings would be a very typical application, as it is common to
shoot up to 100 rolls of medium format film at one. At around 100 rolls
of medium format film plus developing and contact sheets, the cost of
a high resolution digicam can be recouped in a short period of time.
It is also now typically less expensive to have 8"x10" or 8"x12" prints
made from digital than from negatives.

> - extreme telephoto, more pixels let you crop out a usable picture.
> - extremely large prints to be examined close-up.
> - fashion magazine cover shots ?
>
> All of these are sort of obvious, I'm looking for a ideas that
> give me a better idea of when 6MP finallu taps out.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> (E-Mail Removed)

Steve Wilbur

The price for the 11MP camera would have to be about $200.

MarkH

(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote in news:bl7g8v$vi$(E-Mail Removed):

> All other things being equal what kinds of work would
> force you to upgrade to the Canon 1Ds, for instance.
>
> - extreme telephoto, more pixels let you crop out a usable picture.

Err, no. For extreme telephoto you are better off with a 10D, you have a
built in crop, you would need better than 16MPix full frame to crop and
beat the 10D.

Obviously the 1Ds has the advantage the other way around - with wide angle.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Martin

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bl7g8v$vi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> All other things being equal what kinds of work would
> force you to upgrade to the Canon 1Ds, for instance.
>
> - extreme telephoto, more pixels let you crop out a usable picture.
> - extremely large prints to be examined close-up.
> - fashion magazine cover shots ?
>
> All of these are sort of obvious, I'm looking for a ideas that
> give me a better idea of when 6MP finallu taps out.

I can't claim to know enough about optics to verify it, but I was told by
someone that I tend to trust that there are very few 35mm format lenses on
the market with the resolving power to exploit even 6MP let alone 11. He was
of the opinion that there was little point going over 6MP unless you also
went to medium format...

> Thanks
>

> --
> Al Dykes

Martin

George Kerby

On 9/28/03 3:59 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "JK"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Wedding photography, where people expect medium format quality 8"x10"
> prints. Weddings would be a very typical application, as it is common to
> shoot up to 100 rolls of medium format film at one. At around 100 rolls
> of medium format film plus developing and contact sheets, the cost of
> a high resolution digicam can be recouped in a short period of time.
> It is also now typically less expensive to have 8"x10" or 8"x12" prints
> made from digital than from negatives.

I have NEVER heard of ANYONE shooting 1,200 exposures at a wedding!!!
Bullshit!
In addition, I have NEVER given contact sheets to a bride.
I feel sorry for anyone you may have worked for.

Sloopy

In article <BB9DA36F.1AE92%(E-Mail Removed)>,
George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 9/28/03 3:59 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "JK"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Wedding photography, where people expect medium format quality 8"x10"
> > prints. Weddings would be a very typical application, as it is common to
> > shoot up to 100 rolls of medium format film at one. At around 100 rolls
> > of medium format film plus developing and contact sheets, the cost of
> > a high resolution digicam can be recouped in a short period of time.
> > It is also now typically less expensive to have 8"x10" or 8"x12" prints
> > made from digital than from negatives.

> I have NEVER heard of ANYONE shooting 1,200 exposures at a wedding!!!

Let's say the wedding is six hours. That's 200 exposures an hour, or
over three per minute, every minute, for six hours.

-Sloopy

Stanley Krute

Hi Mark

> Err, no. For extreme telephoto you are better off with a 10D, you have a
> built in crop, you would need better than 16MPix full frame to crop and
> beat the 10D.

There's an assumption in your argument here that one knows
what the crop will be when shooting.

Stan

George Kerby

On 9/29/03 9:35 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Sloopy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <BB9DA36F.1AE92%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 9/28/03 3:59 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "JK"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Wedding photography, where people expect medium format quality 8"x10"
>>> prints. Weddings would be a very typical application, as it is common to
>>> shoot up to 100 rolls of medium format film at one. At around 100 rolls
>>> of medium format film plus developing and contact sheets, the cost of
>>> a high resolution digicam can be recouped in a short period of time.
>>> It is also now typically less expensive to have 8"x10" or 8"x12" prints
>>> made from digital than from negatives.

>> I have NEVER heard of ANYONE shooting 1,200 exposures at a wedding!!!

> Let's say the wedding is six hours. That's 200 exposures an hour, or
> over three per minute, every minute, for six hours.
>
> -Sloopy

Doesn't leave too much time for potty breaks, eh?!?

Obviously, (hopefully) the poster meant 100 exposures, but that would be a
little short. My experience is 10 - 15 rolls of 120 max.

Bay Area Dave

by your logic 35MM film can get by with cheap lenses then! You've got
your "facts" royally screwed up, my friend. Quality lenses are not
going to the limiting factor when used with a 6MP sensor. Your trust in
your source is woefully misplaced. Go pick up a few digital photo
magazines and read the articles related to digital vs film.

dave