Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Many small cards or fewer large ones?

Many small cards or fewer large ones?

jriegle

With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
having some problems with their cards.

While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.

Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
that's another story...
John

DH

In article
<LRgdb.155071$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
> one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
> cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
> because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
> but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
> having some problems with their cards.
>
> While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
> reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
>
> Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
> that's another story...
> John

My thinking exactly, multiple 256mb cards.

Al Dykes

In article <LRgdb.155071$(E-Mail Removed)>,
jriegle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
>one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
>cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
>because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
>but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
>having some problems with their cards.
>
>While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
>reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
>
>Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
>that's another story...
>John

Look for the price "sweet spot". At any given time one of the
available sizes will be the lowest cost/MB. With several cards you
can mail them to someone back at home, one at a time, as they fill up.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Enough

Yes.

--
Enough <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bay Area Dave

I too, would look for a "sweet spot" in pricing of the various sized
cards. While not opting to buy a size way out of line with my needs
(for instance I wouldn't buy a 32MB card!), I'd perhaps buy 2 ea of say
a 128 or 256 instead of my favorite, a 512 card. If I could save money
on a 512, that would be MY personal favorite size for my 4MP camera. If
the savings on the smaller sizes was negligible, I'd go for 512. Just
substitute your "favorite" size in my examples...YMMV.

dave

jriegle wrote:

> With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
> one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
> cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
> because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
> but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
> having some problems with their cards.
>
> While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
> reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
>
> Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
> that's another story...
> John

HRosita

Hi,

Not long ago the question was 2 64 MB cards or 1 128,

With a little care, even 1 GB card will last for a long time. Make sure you
don't let your batteries run down. This seems to be the most common problem
when cards get corrupted. Make sure the cards are free of foreign material
(sand, dirt, moisture), and buy good quality readers and cards.
Rosita

Jim Townsend

jriegle wrote:

> With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
> one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
> cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
> because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
> but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
> having some problems with their cards.

If you followed this newsgroup back in 1999-2000, you'd see the same argument
over the newly introduced and fairly expensive 128 MB Flash cards..

Many chose multiple 32 and 64 Meg cards because they didn't want to put all
their eggs in one basket and use a card that big.

Now it's better using multiple 256 Meg cards..

I wonder what the best size will be in two more years

jeff liss

"jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<LRgdb.155071$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
> one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
> cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
> because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
> but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
> having some problems with their cards.
>
> While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
> reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
>
> Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
> that's another story...
> John

================================================== ===========================
I split the difference and added a 512 to my 256 and 128. I agree that
putting all your pics (especially one-of-a-kind vacation shots) on one
card is risky. I find the three aforementioned suit my needs just
fine. Also, I still find the 1 GB's to be a little pricey right now.
That will change, but for now, I'm a happy shooter with the three I
use.
Jeff

Bob

Another argument for multiple cards is that if your camera is stolen,
as mine was, you lose fewer pictures.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:08:43 GMT, "jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
>one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
>cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
>because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
>but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
>having some problems with their cards.
>
>While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
>reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.
>
>Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
>that's another story...
>John

David Dyer-Bennet

"jriegle" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> With all these 1Gig plus cards becoming available, I'm not sure I'd want
> one. It seems the smart way to go, even if your pro, is to buy several 256MB
> cards. I know some people who lost some or all of their vacation photos
> because their only card died on them. In one case, a buddy of mine lost all
> but 7 of his 70 vacation photos. Reading in this group, there are people
> having some problems with their cards.
>
> While I did lose some photos from a camera at work due to a faulty card
> reader, I'm happy to report never loosing a pic. on any of my own equipment.

I've limited myself to 256MB cards so far, but for a different reason
-- my field backup expedient is to use an Iomega Fotoshow to copy the
card contents to zip disks, that the 256MB card matches the 250MB zip
disk closely enough that I can always manage to make it fit.

I've *never* lost a photo to any sort of card problem, with 5
different cards, the oldest going "all the way back" to 2000. Not to
say it *can't* happen, but it seems to be rare enough that I don't
find it driving any of my decisions.

> Well, okay, If you save in a raw file or have one of those 11MP+ cameras,
> that's another story...

There's that. Raw files from my Fuji S2 are 12MB.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>