Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 10D and dust

EOS 10D and dust

John

Hi,

has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.

Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.

Tks in advance.

John

Phil Wheeler

No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
mode and manual says:

o Use a squeeze bulb
o Do not use one with a brush
o Do not use an aerosol
o Best have done by service center.

Phil

John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
> 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
> apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
> hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
> spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
> small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
>
> Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
> experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.
>
> Tks in advance.
>
> John

Poch

I was always told never to use compressed air on a digital sensor - you will
blow it away!

"Phil Wheeler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
> mode and manual says:
>
> o Use a squeeze bulb
> o Do not use one with a brush
> o Do not use an aerosol
> o Best have done by service center.
>
> Phil
>
> John wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
> > 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
> > apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
> > hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an

aerosol
> > spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
> > small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
> >
> > Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
> > experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.
> >
> > Tks in advance.
> >
> > John

Robertwgross

John wrote:
>has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
>10D? ...

If you check it, the Canon EOS 10D does not have a CCD sensor.

---Bob Gross---

Lisa Horton

John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
> 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
> apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
> hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
> spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
> small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
>
> Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
> experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.

I waited until I had a can of spray air that was almost empty, no liquid
left in it. That did the trick for me.

Lisa

Cole

Let's not pick on the guy for nomenclature. CMOS cleaning is a bit
intimidating and the best source of metjods and materieal that I have
uncovered is on Roger cavanaugh's site at
:http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/09_cleaning.htm

Hope this helps, John.

/c

> If you check it, the Canon EOS 10D does not have a CCD sensor.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Todd Walker

In article <EDgdb.11$(E-Mail Removed)>, jmm85
@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> has anyone experienced problems with dust getting onto the CCD of an EOS
> 10D? I have found it just about impossible to remove dust, at small
> apertures the presence of dust is making shots un-usable. I have used a
> hand pump to try to remove it, but with no joy. I am considering an aerosol
> spray, but was warned to be careful about which one I use, as some expel
> small amounts of liquid which can damage the CCD.
>
> Any advice/hits would be gratefully received, as this is spoiling my
> experience of what is, in every other respect, a brilliant bit of kit.
>
> Tks in advance.
>
> John

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

The first link is the best I've seen. Read the instructions *VERY*
carefully and read them at least twice. If you make a mistake, it will
be a very costly one.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Jim Townsend

Phil Wheeler wrote:

> No experience with it and I do not have a 10D. The 300D has a cleaning
> mode and manual says:
>
> o Use a squeeze bulb
> o Do not use one with a brush
> o Do not use an aerosol
> o Best have done by service center.

I agree with the first three points.. but not point four.

At $100.00 a pop it's little wonder Canon wants you to send the camera to a
repair depot then wait a week or so before you get the camera back every time
you get a few bits of dust on the sensor that won't blow off.

This idea doesn't appeal to me..

You can wet clean the sensor successfully.. I did it with Photosol Pads and
Eclipse liquid. I'm sure Canon uses a similar method at their depot.

The surface of the sensor is pretty durable. You can wipe it with a soft dust
free pad made for the purpose that's been dampened with a proper cleaning
fluid.

Just be aware if you do manage to screw up the sensor, you're looking at an
$800.00 repair bill..

Nils Rostedt

"Todd Walker" wrote..

> http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
> http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
>
> The first link is the best I've seen. Read the instructions *VERY*
> carefully and read them at least twice. If you make a mistake, it will
> be a very costly one.

Great links, thanks!

Being from outside the US ( I 'm in Finland) and never having seen a PecPad
or Eclipse fluid, I'd appreciate if someone could describe what those things
are and how they differ from common tissue paper and window cleaning
detergent
I guess I can get similar products in the local stores under other brand
names, but I'd like to understand what to look for.

TIA
Nils

John

Many thanks for all the advice - and especially for the links, which are
excellent.

John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...