Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monopod (tripod) head

Monopod (tripod) head

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve King wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
> release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick flip
> to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip adapter
and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100
<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
<http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

Steve King

I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick flip
to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Steve . . .

Steve King

Mike Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip adapter
>and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
>don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

Mike,

I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

Thanks, Steve . . .

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve King wrote:

> I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
> Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

Geez, I just saw one at the camera shop a few hours ago, but I didn't
specifically look at it... I've seen wedding photographers use them.. they
stay mounted to the camera and they hold the flash so that when the camera
is flipped the flash stays in the same place. Very handy.

mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100
<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
<http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

rs11

Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
online.
works Great

"Steve King" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip

adapter
> >and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you

sure
> >don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

> Mike,
>
> I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
> Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?
>
> Thanks, Steve . . .

JIM

"rs11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Mhsdb.10872$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
> online.
> works Great

You might also like to visit with these guys: www.reallyrightstuff.com -
they carry a thing called an "L" bracket that would be slower than a
"quickflip" style rig and you would need a ball head w/QR to use it with.
However, it allows you to attach your camera *solidly* to either your
monopod or tripod.

My experience with any bracket that allows you to rotate the camera within
it is the reason I don't use one. Too many moving parts do not a solid,
non-moving, vibration free, mount make. On a monopod, probably not a major
issue; however, if solid mounting on a tripod is ever a consideration,
considering a camera within a moveable bracket is counterproductive with
anything less than some of the most expensive brackets available!

Shoot'em up, steady, shakey, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
you for it!!

Jim

Mike Graham

In article <Mhsdb.10872$(E-Mail Removed)>, rs11 wrote:
> Stroboframe Vertaflip is one,. you can get it a good camera store or order
> online.
> works Great

Doh! I spent about an hour last night figuring out the name. That's it.

Mind you, the ones of these that I have seen have been fairly large
affairs that are made to hold an external flash relative to the tripod while
the camera is flipped, so the flash stays above the lens regardless of
orientation. This is all well and good for a tripod, but might suck a wee
bit for 'go-light' monopod work. Mind you, Stroboframe may well sell one
that doesn't have the flash mount.

mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

When that's broken I can use my Nikon D100
<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
<http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

Martin

"Mike Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve King wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a simple monopod (or tripod) head with a quick camera
> > release. The only real action I'd like the head to perfom is a quick

flip
> > to vertical from the normal horizontal position. Any recommendations?

> You might not want to bother with a head... just get a quick-flip

adapter
> and be done with it. If you're going to use it on a monopod then you sure
> don't need a panning head, though you might want tilt....

Hmmm, always amused me that my monopod came complete with a remarkably
smooth pan head I suppose that the manufacturer just had one production
line for the heads irrespective of whether they were going on the monos or
tripods...

> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Mike Graham | Metalworker, rustic, part-time zealot.

Martin

Dave Martindale

>I never heard of a quick flip adaptor. It sounds just like what I need.
>Do you know who makes them or where I could find one?

Manfrotto makes one: the 234RC. It comes with a quick-release mount for
the camera as well. The base of the quick-release plate is square, so
you can mount the camera on the head to give either landscape/portrait
orientation switching, or to use it for tilt adjustment. I think
there's also a plain 234 head, without the quick-release.

In the USA, the same head will be sold as a Bogen with some
incomprehensively different model number.

Dave

Stuart B.

Steve,

I got some specialized Bogen head from B&H a couple of years back for
use with my monopod. It included a nice quick release plate and the
ability to easily tilt through 90 degrees. Perfect to painlessly
switch from landscape to portrait on the monopod. (Or inbetween if
you want to do "artsy" things with your framing).

I think this thing (at B&H) is the same as I bought:

Bogen
3229 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head with Quick Release - Supports 6.00 lb
(2.72 kg) $27.00

I leave it attached to my monopod at all times.

Stuart B