Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > External CD burner for PC

External CD burner for PC

Conrad Weiler

Hi,

A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her computer.
How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are nescessary
for connecting external burner with PC?

TIA,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Frankhartx

>rom: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Conrad Weiler)

>A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
>computer.
>How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
>nescessary
>for connecting external burner with PC?

Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
with a pass thru for the printer.

Dwight Duckstein

Better and simpler yet would be a USB 2.0 style burner if you have those
ports available. USB 1.1 would be acceptable and easy, just not as fast by
quite a shot.

HTH

--

Dwight Duckstein, MCP
(E-Mail Removed)

"Frankhartx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >rom: (E-Mail Removed) (Conrad Weiler)

> >A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
> >computer.
> >How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
> >nescessary
> >for connecting external burner with PC?
> >

> Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer

port
> with a pass thru for the printer.

---

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Frankhartx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>rom: (E-Mail Removed) (Conrad Weiler)

>>A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her
>>computer.
>>How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are
>>nescessary
>>for connecting external burner with PC?
>>

>Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
>with a pass thru for the printer.

Hooking equipment (other than printers) up to the printer (parallel)
port is kind of dusty these days.

I just bought an external CD burner at a major computer dealer for
about $80US. It has connected to the USB ports on several computers
without a hitch. On a modern computer there isn't even any software
setup needed to read CDs. You need a software package to burn CDs, it
should come with the burner.

Any computer bought in the last 5 years probably has one or more USB
ports. This is the most versatile way to get data in and out of your
computer. Every digital camera I've seen comes with a USB
cable. Printers and scanners are commonly USB-connected these days.
Devices that hook up to the printer port is getting sort of rare,
even printers are going USB.

Your computer need one of these operating systems; Windows98, w2k, XP or
Windows me (which was the worst operating system Microsoft ever shipped).
Linux works just fine with my burner.

USB comes in "slow" (aka USB1.1) and "fast". My laptop PC has "slow"
USB and it works just fine with my burner. I just crank the burning
speed down so the computer can keep up with the burner.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Randall Ainsworth

> A friend wants to get an external CD burner to offload pics from her computer.
> How difficult is it to obtain an external unit and what port(s) are nescessary
> for connecting external burner with PC?

You're much better off with an internal.

Randall Ainsworth

> Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
> with a pass thru for the printer.

Goes right along with that parallel port scanner too, eh? Jeez...get
with the program.

Eric Gisin

You are insane! Parallel port burners simply don't work. USB 2 should be fine.

"Frankhartx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| Easy to get for a reasonable price and hook upn a snap to your printer port
| with a pass thru for the printer.

JK

Most PCs more than a year old don't have USB2, and USB 1.1 usually
limits you to 4x or 6x burning. One could add a USB2 card to a pc,
but adding one to a desktop machine is more trouble than installing
an internal burner.The only time you should seriously consider an
external burner is if you are using a notebook. Internal burners are faster
and much less expensive.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Most PCs more than a year old don't have USB2, and USB 1.1 usually
>limits you to 4x or 6x burning. One could add a USB2 card to a pc,
>but adding one to a desktop machine is more trouble than installing
>an internal burner.The only time you should seriously consider an
>external burner is if you are using a notebook. Internal burners are faster
>and much less expensive.

I'm a made plenty of coaster on computers and burners that would be 5
years old, now. That equipment is all gone. These days I've been
burning CDs on an external burner on a laptop with 1.1 USB at 12X.
It's a Celeron 1GHZ machine (lots of RAM)

The underrun protection that the new burners have seem to
be working. Keep an eye on the buffer lever indicator
while burning. The buffer should never go to zero.

It doesn't hurt to test the burn by copying the entire CD back to C:,
as a test, when you're done. Look for # of files copied.

--
Al Dykes

HRosita

Hi,

If you are running Win 98se or higher, get a Firewire PCI card (under $50) and
get an external burner that connects to the firewire. While its specs are a
little lower than USB2, the throughput is equal or better.
Absolutely nothing wrong with external devices (CD burners, hard drives, etc)
and you keep them when you upgrade your PC.
Rosita