Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What file size photos for a 3.2 meg or more camera

What file size photos for a 3.2 meg or more camera

Brian

I'm thinking that the more pixels in a photo then the larger the file
size must be.
Using a good quality setting how big are the file sizes for photos
that a 3.2 meg camera take?
Is there a noticeable delay when writing the photo to the camera's
storage device after the photo has been taken for 3.2meg or higher
camera's.

I'm also interested in the file sizes for 4 meg and 5 meg camera's

Regards Brian

BuGz

umm 800 to 1100kbs depending on settings. 5 megapixel=1800 to 2300kbs
depending on settings and subjects. these are jpg file sizes. for tiff
multiply by 10. I never work with raw.
BuGzY
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking that the more pixels in a photo then the larger the file
> size must be.
> Using a good quality setting how big are the file sizes for photos
> that a 3.2 meg camera take?
> Is there a noticeable delay when writing the photo to the camera's
> storage device after the photo has been taken for 3.2meg or higher
> camera's.
>
> I'm also interested in the file sizes for 4 meg and 5 meg camera's
>
> Regards Brian

jriegle

My 3.2mp camera makes 1200-1500KB files in the highest quality JPEG mode.
I've seen them go just over 2000KB in models that compress even less. I
imagine the 5mp cameras will write files in the 3000KB range.

I carry two 128MB cards and one 16MB card (in case of over flow). These seem
plenty for me for a day's shooting as long as I don't shoot any video.
John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking that the more pixels in a photo then the larger the file
> size must be.
> Using a good quality setting how big are the file sizes for photos
> that a 3.2 meg camera take?
> Is there a noticeable delay when writing the photo to the camera's
> storage device after the photo has been taken for 3.2meg or higher
> camera's.
>
> I'm also interested in the file sizes for 4 meg and 5 meg camera's
>
> Regards Brian

gr

"BuGz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> umm 800 to 1100kbs depending on settings. 5 megapixel=1800 to 2300kbs
> depending on settings and subjects. these are jpg file sizes. for tiff
> multiply by 10. I never work with raw.

For the Olympus C-5050 (5 megapixel), I find it's about 1000-1200kB for the
HQ setting, which they state is a 1:11 JPEG compression. On SHQ, the file
sizes are about 2800-3000kB, which they claim to be a 4:1 JPEG compression.
So, the file sizes vary depending on how much compression the manufacturer
decides to do.

I don't really see much difference in quality between 1:11 and 1:4
compression ratios. YMMV.

TIFF will be the full uncomressed image size, about 3 bytes for every pixel.

BPR2

My Canon D30 (3.2 MPixel) produces:

2.6 to 4.4 MBtye files in RAW (most are around 4 MByte +/- 10%)

AND

0.9 to 3.9 MByte files in Large / Fine (High quality, low compression *.jpg
.... average is about 1.5 MB, variability is substantial) the actual file
size depends upon the content of the image.

I don't bother with any of the other file size settings.

--
From BPR
news:(E-Mail Removed)...