Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Marketing Virtual Tours

Marketing Virtual Tours

StarzShooter

Hi,
I have purchased a OneShot360 system from RemoteReality to create
Virtual Tours. I shoot with both a Nikon and a Sony. I am very happy
with this system and the quality of the tours. I am also very pleased
with the price, it was only $495! But, I am looking for advice on the
best ways to market virtual tours for Real Estate and other
applications. Can anyone offer advice?
Thanks -

Tom Nelson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
StarzShooter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have purchased a OneShot360 system from RemoteReality to create
> Virtual Tours. I shoot with both a Nikon and a Sony. I am very happy
> with this system and the quality of the tours. I am also very pleased
> with the price, it was only $495! But, I am looking for advice on the
> best ways to market virtual tours for Real Estate and other
> applications. Can anyone offer advice?
> Thanks -

Homestore.com is an offshoot of the National Association of Realtors.
They've contracted with iPix to license virtual tours using iPix
technology. iPix is aggressively trying to enforce their patent on
360-degree stitching technology using fisheye lenses. Here's a link:
http://www.themaestro.net/DSP/Remap/remap.html
iPix sells a 30-digit software key for each image, without which the
software doesn't work.

Homestore is recruiting photographers as Authorized Providers, and
realtor.com has agreed to promote APs on their site. Unfortunately, the
contract is a real horror. They estimate the size of the virtual tour
market in your area. The contract binds you to buy that number of
software keys each year, whether you use them or not, and prevents you
from using them for anything but home tours or to carry them over to
future years. The images are the property of Homestore. If you cancel
your contract, you must immediately pay for the rest of that year's
allotment of keys, without the right to use them.

I'd advise you to call Realtors in your area and ask them a) if they're
using virtual tours, b) if not, whether they'd like to start, and c) if
they will buy tours from anyone but Homestore. I found Realtors to be
pretty cheap. They wouldn't pop for a $100 4-view virtual tour even on
a half-million-dollar house. One group of Realtors had their own iPix
system and were doing their own tours.

Other markets, which might be more amenable, are hotels, restaurants,
resorts and architects. Sorry to be so discouraging, but I concluded
that the real estate market was not worth the trouble.

Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson Photography

Virtual tours panpics@hotmail.com Digital Photography 1 04-18-2007 07:04 PM
Virtual tours Geoff Computer Support 3 10-17-2005 07:48 PM
Study: Internet users taking virtual tours phranklyyn@yahoo.com Digital Photography 0 12-31-2004 04:39 AM
One Click 360 Degree Virtual Reality Panoramic Photo Tours Chuck Arthurs Digital Photography 4 04-24-2004 06:50 AM
Virtual tours.. 83LowRider Computer Support 4 12-04-2003 09:54 PM

Advertisments