Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Simple Low Level Light Autofocus Assist (Fuji et al)

Simple Low Level Light Autofocus Assist (Fuji et al)

Matt Arnold

Hi,

After a few months experimenting with different torches (home made /
commercial, bulb / LED, red / green / white), I've finally managed to track
down a torch that enables the autofocus mechanism on my cam (Fuji 6900Z) to
function in low light levels!!! It'll work for the 4900Z and will enhance
the s602's ability also. A big plus is there's no electronics skills
required - YAY!

The V1 Power Lenser torch seems to be the best all rounder I've tested. It's
small, easily attachable to the camera body, has a temporary / permanent
switch on / off function and produces one of the most intense beams of light
(non laser - for safety reasons).

You can either hold it in one hand while shooting with the other, or attach
it to the camera. To see how this can be achieved, take a wander over to
http://www.camerashed.co.uk and check out the project at the top of the
list.

The list of projects in CameraShed is growing all the time so I'm sure
there's something in there for everyone who wants to "Go further with their
Fuji cam".

Enjoy
Matt Arnold
Go further with your Fuji cam: http://www.camerashed.co.uk

Ed Wurster

"Matt Arnold" wrote in message:

> The V1 Power Lenser torch seems to be the best all rounder I've tested.

It's
> small, easily attachable to the camera body, has a temporary / permanent
> switch on / off function and produces one of the most intense beams of

light
> (non laser - for safety reasons).

Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser Key
Chain Light.

Nice web site, by the way.

Ed

Hans-Georg Michna

Matt,

how far does it reach in total darkness?

I'm aware that it depends a lot on whether the objects are light
or dark colored and how much contrast they have, but perhaps you
can give me an idea?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Matt Arnold

"Ed Wurster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser Key
> Chain Light.

No - I tried that one and although it looked bright, the cam just couldn't
pick up a focus lock at 5m (my test distance).
The V1 Power Lenser (Key Chain Light) is much more focussed and brighter
than the Moon Lenser.

> Nice web site, by the way.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt Arnold

"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matt,
>
> how far does it reach in total darkness?

My test distance was at 5m though it could work father given enough contrast
within the focus lock area.

> I'm aware that it depends a lot on whether the objects are light
> or dark colored and how much contrast they have, but perhaps you
> can give me an idea?

Indeed there needs to be a degree of contrast and it appears that the camera
locks better when the contrasting surfaces are vertical within the [ ] area
of the monitor.
The no-flash focus shots on the project website will give you an idea of the
kind of contrast I was experimenting with (medium blue on white and very
dark brown on lighter brown).

Cheers,
Matt

Lisa Horton

That's pretty clever. I have one of these lights clipped to each camera
bag

Lisa

"Matt Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> how far does it reach in total darkness?

>My test distance was at 5m though it could work father given enough contrast
>within the focus lock area.

Matt,

not bad at all!

I'll do some experiments at night. By sheer luck I have two of
these lights.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Ed Wurster

> > Thanks Matt. Is this the same thing: Coast LL7570 V1 White Moon Lenser
Key
> > Chain Light.

> No - I tried that one and although it looked bright, the cam just couldn't
> pick up a focus lock at 5m (my test distance).
> The V1 Power Lenser (Key Chain Light) is much more focussed and brighter
> than the Moon Lenser.

Thanks Matt.

How about this one:

http://www.tranquilityimages.com/ccs/ll7599-7600.shtml

I don't see many hits for this in the U.S. Anyone aware of an east coast
source?

Ed