Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Toshiba PDR-M1 - pin assignments for serial cable?

Toshiba PDR-M1 - pin assignments for serial cable?

Ian Roberts

Hi

I need to make up a serial cable for a Toshiba PDR-M1.

If anyone knows the pin assignments from the 9 pin D connector to the 2.5mm
plug I'd be very grateful.

Toshiba UK have been unable to provide this info and they no longer have
stock of the cables

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Mark Grebner

> I need to make up a serial cable for a Toshiba PDR-M1.
.. . .
> Toshiba UK have been unable to provide this info and they no longer have
> stock of the cables

Are you sure this post isn't misdated? Maybe it was actually sent in
1996?

If it's still live, my suggestion is to wait for a listing on eBay -
in fact you should check the "completed auctions" as well. Somebody
is bound to be selling an M1 eventually - and the whole kit including
camera will go for under $10.

As far as Toshiba camera customer service - it's an oxymoron.

JC Dill

On 24 Sep 2003 09:36:15 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mark Grebner) wrote:

>As far as Toshiba camera customer service - it's an oxymoron.

I have a Toshiba laptop and I bought it because of a different
experience a friend had. She bought a Sony Vaio thru an eBay seller,
completing the transaction in person (both were in San Francisco).
About 6 months later the hard drive died. Even though she had sent in
the warranty card and received all of Sony's spam that it triggered,
Sony now decided that her laptop purchase did not come with a warranty
and told her the drive was not covered.

She opened the laptop and removed the dead hard drive. It was made by
Toshiba. She called Toshiba and told them she had a dead drive. They
had her read the serial number off the drive, and then told her it had
a 3 year warranty. They asked her for a credit card to pay for the
shipping, and she had a new drive 2 days later, along with a label for
shipping back the dead drive. If she didn't return the dead drive
within 14 days, they would then charge her card for the replacement
drive they had sent to her without pre-payment. She was never asked
to produce a receipt. Toshiba simply warranties their drives based on
the serial number and manufacturing date. IMHO, that's excellent
customer service. I'll never buy from Sony.

jc

Mark Grebner

> >As far as Toshiba camera customer service - it's an oxymoron.
>
> I have a Toshiba laptop . . .

I didn't criticize ALL Toshiba service - I am just warning that their
digital camera service has been spotty or worse. I think the problem
is their tiny market share and the fact that photography is unrelated
to the core of Toshiba's business. Either a driver is already on the
site, or it isn't - in which case there's no point asking because
nobody will ever reply. Either an upgrade works, or it doesn't - in
which case you'll find yourself posting your gripes here, which is the
only place anybody will ever read them.

FWIW, Toshiba now has a very good exchange program for digital
cameras. If a camera is under warranty, and has ANY problem, you can
swap it for another of the same model. If your warranty has expired,
you can send the camera with $120 and they'll swap - no questions
asked.

Before the swap service, Toshiba apparently had a corporate policy of
denying warranty coverage for EVERYTHING. No matter what went wrong,
Toshiba claimed they found evidence the camera had been "abused".
This included a number of failures for which they finally started
selling user-oriented repair kits, such as the PDR-M4 mode dial
falling off. When my mode dial separated - still under warranty -
Toshiba completely blew me off, and tried to charge $270. Once all
the warranties had expired, they issued a $25 kit, but as far as I
know Toshiba NEVER fixed one at their own expense.

It's good the swap service doesn't require them to interact with
customers, because if you ever deal with trying to get service
performed on a specific camera - not just swap it, but get it repaired
- you will have a chance to experience the outrage firsthand.

Matt

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:11:04 +0100, "Ian Roberts"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to make up a serial cable for a Toshiba PDR-M1.
>
>If anyone knows the pin assignments from the 9 pin D connector to the 2.5mm
>plug I'd be very grateful.
>
>Toshiba UK have been unable to provide this info and they no longer have
>stock of the cables

If it's a stereo jack style (and I think it must be, as I can't see
any way to work with only 2 wires)

The BODY is almost certainly common - pin 5 ground
The other 2 will be to pin 2 and pin 3 (RXD and TXD)
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto...l/serial9.html

If you can get any reading on a meter, the one which is driven by the
camera (in transfer mode) goes to pin 2.

Standard serial outputs should survive shorting or output to output
connections - not sure if the camera port would be as forgiving - up
to you if you try winging it one way and then the other.

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!