Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lifecycle of the 10D

Lifecycle of the 10D

sushi master

True. The sensor is most likely integrated with the processor and memory on
the same board anyway.

The point is, if you do not give your high end customer a path to upgrade,
few will be willing to buy a bullet proof design only to be obsolete in two
years.

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "PiZzazZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JCJbb.149368$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
> > upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for

technology
> > that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
> > photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.
> >

> It's not just the sensor. Many times, the processing engine is upgraded

as
> well because it's optimized around the sensor.
>
> Mark

Junque

In article <3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
>expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
>The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
>a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
>announced.
>
>Just hedging my bets...

Of course there will be a new model, wait till it is out and buy a 10D
at the "clear-out" price to save money; it will do exactly what a 10D
does now, in fact it will still do exactly what a 10D does in ten years
time.
--
Ian - to reply directly use ian (at) newbrain (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk

Mark B.

"sushi master" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:alQbb.155412$(E-Mail Removed)...
> True. The sensor is most likely integrated with the processor and memory

on
> the same board anyway.
>
> The point is, if you do not give your high end customer a path to upgrade,
> few will be willing to buy a bullet proof design only to be obsolete in

two
> years.

I don't understand why anyone feels their digicam would be 'obsolete' in 2
years. Does it stop working because there's something new & shiny on the
market? My nearly 2 year old D30 still works fine despite being 2
generations old. If I could afford the 1Ds, I'm pretty sure 11mp would
satisfy me for quite some time.

Mark

Not Very

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:52 -0700, "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
> a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> announced.

I'd reckon 18-24 months.

Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many years to
come. So buy with confidence.

Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Richard Kaszeta

Not Very <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I'd reckon 18-24 months.
>
> Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many years to
> come. So buy with confidence.

Also, it's an SLR---invest some money in some good lenses, and you can
still use those lenses when you upgrade.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

PiZzazZ

The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution of
D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.

> I don't understand why anyone feels their digicam would be 'obsolete' in 2
> years. Does it stop working because there's something new & shiny on the
> market? My nearly 2 year old D30 still works fine despite being 2
> generations old. If I could afford the 1Ds, I'm pretty sure 11mp would
> satisfy me for quite some time.
>
> Mark

Kenny

"PiZzazZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sVYbb.155717$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution

of
> D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
> dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.

The element you are missing is - did the user get the value to him/her
for the amount of depreciation? You can not simply go on the basis of a
camera cost you X amount and two years later its only worth Y. In that
period of time you most likely will have had the money's worth of
enjoyment, or for the pro photogs some derived income.

Resolution isn't everything. The 1D is still the best sports camera for
pros at only 4mp and guess how many MP's the new Nikon answer to the 1D
has?

Kenny

PiZzazZ

Sure. There will always people with enough money and excitement to buy the
latest and best. But few people can build a business case to justify buying
a $7k camera that amortizes over two years.

Most high-end users expects to keep the equipment for years without losing
much of it value or competitive edge. In the past despite of electronic
instruments in the camera, there was always a market for old but solidly
build cameras because any electronic instruments could be compensated by
experience and external meters. But when you come to digital cameras, there
is no compensation for pixel density.

Unless the camera architecture is upgradable, few will be interested a
digital SLR with a mechanical lifetime of 20 years.

news:3f7079d5$0$269$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "PiZzazZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sVYbb.155717$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution

> of
> > D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
> > dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.

> The element you are missing is - did the user get the value to him/her
> for the amount of depreciation? You can not simply go on the basis of a
> camera cost you X amount and two years later its only worth Y. In that
> period of time you most likely will have had the money's worth of
> enjoyment, or for the pro photogs some derived income.
>
> Resolution isn't everything. The 1D is still the best sports camera for
> pros at only 4mp and guess how many MP's the new Nikon answer to the 1D
> has?
>
> Kenny

Gordon Niessen

Not Very wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:46:52 -0700, "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D
> > and I have a history of buying the latest and greatest a week
> > before a new model is announced.

> I'd reckon 18-24 months.
>
> Unless you are a pro, the 10D will do what you want it to do for many
> years to come. So buy with confidence.
>
> Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Why not the 300D/Rebel?

I just got one and for about $600 cheaper then the 10D. Granted the
10D has some advantages, but I have enough control with the 300D/Rebel
to do what I want. I can always upgrade in a couple years to the
32MPixel when it comes out.

--
Gordon Niessen
If you aren't on the bleeding edge, you are history.

Mark B.

"PiZzazZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sVYbb.155717$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only problem with your D30 is that it has half the the resolution of
> D300 (which is not even in the same league as D30), and its price has
> dropped to 1/4 of what you paid for in two years.

Your point being what? As I said, it still takes fantastic pictures. You
won't see much difference if any between an 8x10 from my D30 and one from
the 300D. As for depreciation, that's expected.

Mark