Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lifecycle of the 10D

Lifecycle of the 10D

Paul

So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?

The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
announced.

Just hedging my bets...

paul

Godfrey DiGiorgi

I don't feel it really matters, Paul. The 10D will not be the "end of
the line" by any means, but it's an excellent camera in nearly every
respect and should last for many years of use. It hits a plateau of
quality, performance and functionality that is well worth it.

I got mine last week after months of watching the discussions and
issues come and go. I am pleased with it, very pleased: it is
everything I expected and more.

Just be ready for the expenditure and don't worry too much. You will
need good lenses, enough memory, batteries, etc to make it sing.

Godfrey

In article <3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
> a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> announced.
>
> Just hedging my bets...
>

> paul

Constantinople

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed):

> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and
> I have a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new
> model is announced.
>
> Just hedging my bets...

If you're buying now, that means new models will be out real soon. Thanks
for the heads up!

Jim Townsend

Paul wrote:

> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
> a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> announced.

There is a Canon USA rep that checks in to one of the forums I follow. He
states that the 10D will be around until well into next year.

So I'm guessing it'll be discontinued by next spring

Whether it's discontinued or not, it will still a great camera to own and use
for some years to come.. Just as the D30 and D60 are still fine cameras
despite the fact they were discontinued.

PiZzazZ

If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for technology
that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.

The only reason that I am still happy with my 2 MP Olympus is because it
prints well on 8x10, which is the limit of my printer. I am considering to
get D-Rebel because it hits the critical price point, my large investment in
Canon lenses, and that it will do 11x14 (and acceptabel poster size) that
will satisfy me for a long time.

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul wrote:
>
> > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

have
> > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> > announced.

> There is a Canon USA rep that checks in to one of the forums I follow. He
> states that the 10D will be around until well into next year.
>
> So I'm guessing it'll be discontinued by next spring
>
> Whether it's discontinued or not, it will still a great camera to own and

use
> for some years to come.. Just as the D30 and D60 are still fine cameras
> despite the fact they were discontinued.

jeff liss

Godfrey DiGiorgi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<220920031135348129%(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I don't feel it really matters, Paul. The 10D will not be the "end of
> the line" by any means, but it's an excellent camera in nearly every
> respect and should last for many years of use. It hits a plateau of
> quality, performance and functionality that is well worth it.
>
> I got mine last week after months of watching the discussions and
> issues come and go. I am pleased with it, very pleased: it is
> everything I expected and more.
>
> Just be ready for the expenditure and don't worry too much. You will
> need good lenses, enough memory, batteries, etc to make it sing.
>
> Godfrey
>

> In article <3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> > expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I have
> > a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> > announced.
> >
> > Just hedging my bets...
> >

> > paul

I agree with Godfrey's assessment of the 10D. You can wait for a new
model to come out, but then you could ALWAYS be waiting for a newer
model and never enjoy the beauty of a current camera. This one's a
winner, so why wait? Buy it now and discover the wonders of this
wonderful DSLR. Invest in quality glass and you'll be set for years to
come.
Jeff

David J. Littleboy

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?

Since it took almost exactly two years for the Kodak 760/Nikon D1X level of
expensive 6MP cameras to morph into the D100/10D/S2 level of affordable 6MP
cameras, my bet is Sept. 2004 for the 1Ds to morph into an EOS 3 like camera
with a 10.8MP full-frame sensor and a spot meter.

Of course, there's always Murphy's Law. All the 300D hulllabaloo has got me
interested, so I was thinking about a D100 + 12-24. With my luck, Canon will
come out with the 3D within a month of my purchasing a D100, and 3D + 17-40
is what I really want.

> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

have
> a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> announced.
>
> Just hedging my bets...

I agree with Godfrey, though. If the lack of spot meter and wide angle don't
bother you, the 10D is a great camera and should give you several years of
good use.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Mark B.

"PiZzazZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JCJbb.149368$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If Canon (for the same matter, any manufacturer) can't come up with a
> upgradable CMOS for the high-end models, few will spend $7k for technology
> that improves 100% every 18 months. Particularly for the professional
> photographers who are used to keeping equipment for many many years.

It's not just the sensor. Many times, the processing engine is upgraded as
well because it's optimized around the sensor.

Mark

Stewy

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f6f277e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So what do people think about the lifecycle of the 10D? Should we be
> expecting an announcement of a new model some time soon?
>
> The reason I ask is because I'm about to take the plunge on a 10D and I

have
> a history of buying the latest and greatest a week before a new model is
> announced.

What are you dis-satisfied with, Effective pixels? price? Lenses? Weight?

The 10D is a great camera at far more affordable price than the rest of the
DSLRs, but if you're going to be unhappy with it from Day 1, I'd advise
spending a lot more money buying one of those more expensive ones which
probably won't be upgraded for sometime to come.

Take a look at www.yodobashi.com This is a electronics store in Osaka,
Japan, all in Japanese but relatively easy to navigate if you have Japanese
language support (this is where the Mac comes into its own) take a look at
the Japanese prices - this is a very effective guide to which cameras are
not being upgraded soon (low discount price) and those which are (40-50%
discount from RRP)

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (jeff liss) wrote:

>Invest in quality glass and you'll be set for years to
>come.

This is an important point. When I bought my 10D body, I thought about
how much it cost. After buying a round of lenses, and then some better
lenses, the body is nothing, really. If a full-sensor 12mp Canon DSLR
came out next year for $2000, then I'd have two bodies. The new one
would specialize in wide-angle shooting.
--

John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>