Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High resolution fixed focus camera?

High resolution fixed focus camera?

Dan Pidcock

I was thinking about zoom lenses being generally lower quality than
fixed focus lenses (e.g. Olympus Stylus Epic / Mju II) for the same
price range, and wondered if for a cheaper camera the best option
would be to get rid of the zoom lens and put a higher resolution,
lower noise larger sensor in. Obviously this doesn't have the
marketing pull of a "3x Optical zoom".

What are the best fixed focal length compact cameras at consumer price
levels?

The closest I have found is the Kodak DX3700 which has a 3.1MPix
1/1.8" sensor which puts it pretty much on a par with the Olympus
C4000 but for almost the same price. I was hoping to find the fixed
lens camera would be a fair bit cheaper than a similarly specced zoom.

JK

Dan Pidcock wrote:

> I was thinking about zoom lenses being generally lower quality than
> fixed focus lenses (e.g. Olympus Stylus Epic / Mju II) for the same
> price range, and wondered if for a cheaper camera the best option
> would be to get rid of the zoom lens and put a higher resolution,
> lower noise larger sensor in. Obviously this doesn't have the
> marketing pull of a "3x Optical zoom".

How are you going to get a sensor with 9 times the number of
megapixels of the cheaper sensor at a reasonable price? Zoom
lenses are much less expensive than much higher resolution sensors.

> What are the best fixed focal length compact cameras at consumer price
> levels?

I don't know of any very high quality ones.

> The closest I have found is the Kodak DX3700 which has a 3.1MPix
> 1/1.8" sensor which puts it pretty much on a par with the Olympus
> C4000 but for almost the same price. I was hoping to find the fixed
> lens camera would be a fair bit cheaper than a similarly specced zoom.

There isn't much demand for fixed focal length cameras, except perhaps
for ultra small ones like the Sony U20.

Constantinople

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dan Pidcock) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> I was thinking about zoom lenses being generally lower quality than
> fixed focus lenses (e.g. Olympus Stylus Epic / Mju II) for the same
> price range, and wondered if for a cheaper camera the best option
> would be to get rid of the zoom lens and put a higher resolution,
> lower noise larger sensor in.

Very important distinction you need to make when choosing a camera: fixed
focus and fixed focal length are different things. Fixed focus means the
camera doesn't focus. Fixed focal length means the camera doesn't zoom. You
have to have this clear in your head or else you will risk buying something
you don't want, because some cameras do say "fixed focus" on the box and
unless you know better you will think, "fixed focal length".

Don Stauffer

Be careful of the term 'fixed focus' when you are shopping for a camera.
It usually does NOT mean the same thing as fixed focal length. The term
'fixed focus' usually means a high f/# lens preset to its hyperfocal
distance, without a capability to focus it. Focus-free is another term
for same thing. These are cheap cameras, something to be avoided unless
you are after mediocre quality.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
(E-Mail Removed)