Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

Reply
Thread Tools

AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

 
 
Mark Wallace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Tobasco wrote:
> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Word has it that on 21 Sep 2003 21:21:26 -0700, in this august forum,
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Proud USA Babe) said:
>>
>>> AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRI[*SLAP!*]

>>
>> For those of you (eg; AOL users[0]) who haven't already figured this
>> one out, this is the 'SexySusan' troll[1], who's just too stupid to
>> go away & do his homework.
>> Please don't encourage him.
>>
>> [0] No offence intended to the 57 AOL users with IQ's greater than
>> 100. [1] Dumbest troll in all of Usenet.
>>
>> --
>> W
>> . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
>> \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda
>> est
>> ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------

>
> Cuckoos - why are most of you in this newsgroup always posting
> off-topic?


Which newsgroup, dwudjo?
Do you have *any* idea what you're talking about?

And using the word "cuckoo" derogatively went out of style thirty years ago,
so you're showing yourself up as an idiot for using it in an Internet
context.

And your combination of "are posting" and "always" is *hideous* English,
given the timing and meaning of what you wished to convey.
Go and read up on the basic usages of Simple Present and Present
Progressive, Mr. I-am-an-English-teacher-who-owns-a-chain-of-schools.

There, is that on-topic enough for you?

--
Mark Wallace
-----------------------------------------------------
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit:
The Anglo-American Humour (humor) Site
http://earth.prohosting.com/mwal/
-----------------------------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Proud USA Babe) wrote:

Troll.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Q.G. de Bakker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Lionel wrote:

> >> If it makes you feel any better, we get plenty of idiots here [...]

> >
> >Where is "here"?

>
> rec.photo.*, in this instance.


Thank you.
But it was a rethorical question, hinting at the, uhmm..., let's just call
it irony in "plenty of idiots here"...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Heslop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Proud USA Babe wrote:
>
> AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH ENGLISH:


What a complete and utter waste of time

--
Paul. (Don't ever stand aside, Don't ever be denied)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not what it seems...
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Wallace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Paul Heslop wrote:
> Proud USA Babe wrote:
>>
>> AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH ENGLISH:

>
> What a complete and utter waste of time


Isn't that the definition of Usenet?

Still, I'm sure we'd all rather waste our time on things other than that
posting.

--
Mark Wallace
-----------------------------------------------------
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit:
The Anglo-American Humour (humor) Site
http://earth.prohosting.com/mwal/
-----------------------------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lionel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Word has it that on Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:14:09 +0200, in this august
forum, "Q.G. de Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Lionel wrote:
>
>> >> If it makes you feel any better, we get plenty of idiots here [...]
>> >
>> >Where is "here"?

>>
>> rec.photo.*, in this instance.

>
>Thank you.
>But it was a rethorical question, hinting at the, uhmm..., let's just call
>it irony in "plenty of idiots here"...


Point well taken, but sometimes it's fun to play with the trolls. If
nothing else, at least it means that they've brought some small amount
of pleasure to /someone/, so their lives aren't a total waste.

--
W
. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
\|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
Witheld
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
In article <Olzbb.551$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Phill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> I am English and I live in London, but most people I meet who have English
> as a second lanuage and learnt it outside of Europe speak Ameriacian
> English.
> English seems to be the most common second lanuage, so if my observations
> are accurate and given that there are more Americains than there are British
> and more people outside of Europe than within, ultimately Americain English
> will become dominant.


Well I hope it's not the American English you hear spoken in some southern
American places then some of us Americans would be up "crapes creep".
--
When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry at every funeral.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Chaplin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Proud USA Babe wrote:
>
> AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH ENGLISH:
>
> I am not unaware of the history of the English language, but I do
> strongly feel that the modern American dialect of the English language
> is the most efficient.


Efficiency doesn't enter into it, it is a question of having the right
diction and turn of phrase for any situation. In this case, since we
are dealing with another cross-posting git, it can be summed up in one
word: "plonk!"
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
(If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Wallace
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003
Lionel wrote:
> Word has it that on Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:14:09 +0200, in this august
> forum, "Q.G. de Bakker" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Lionel wrote:
>>
>>>>> If it makes you feel any better, we get plenty of idiots here
>>>>> [...]
>>>>
>>>> Where is "here"?
>>>
>>> rec.photo.*, in this instance.

>>
>> Thank you.
>> But it was a rethorical question, hinting at the, uhmm..., let's
>> just call it irony in "plenty of idiots here"...

>
> Point well taken, but sometimes it's fun to play with the trolls. If
> nothing else, at least it means that they've brought some small amount
> of pleasure to /someone/, so their lives aren't a total waste.


The best way of dealing with trolls involves hijacking their troll threads
to talk about completely different things.

All in all, I'd say we've been very successful.

--
Mark Wallace
-----------------------------------------------------
For the intelligent approach to nasty humour, visit:
The Anglo-American Humour (humor) Site
http://earth.prohosting.com/mwal/
-----------------------------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
a.spencer3
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-22-2003

Witheld <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Olzbb.551$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Phill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >
> > I am English and I live in London, but most people I meet who have

English
> > as a second lanuage and learnt it outside of Europe speak Ameriacian
> > English.
> > English seems to be the most common second lanuage, so if my

observations
> > are accurate and given that there are more Americains than there are

British
> > and more people outside of Europe than within, ultimately Americain

English
> > will become dominant.

>
> Well I hope it's not the American English you hear spoken in some southern
> American places then some of us Americans would be up "crapes creep".
> --
> When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry at every funeral.


I still love that crazy Southern cop in the Bond films, even though I can
barely understand a word he says!
Is that a normal Southern accent, or grossly exaggerated?

Surreyman


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Un-American, "American media elitists" refuse I AM the decIder Computer Support 15 05-25-2009 05:40 PM
English (Australian) Checker .... Bigbazza Computer Support 0 04-21-2008 02:55 AM
End H1B's now. American jobs for American programmers DANIEL HENEGHAN ASP .Net 5 09-27-2004 12:44 PM
GO AMERICAN - Buy test vouchers from an American company ! Helper MCSE 13 08-13-2004 09:47 AM



Advertisments