Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which Compact Flash for Canon A70 ?

which Compact Flash for Canon A70 ?

AlexZ

Hello,

I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
to look for when choosing one.

First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?

I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.

Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?

Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?

Thanks for help
Alex

Zol.

Hi, you won`t get any noticable speed difference within the camera - but you
may notice faster upload/download times to PC with faster memory cards -
I`ve used Lexar Media CF Cards in both Canon A40 & Canon A70 and they are
quicker than the Sandisk which came with the Cameras - I would recommend you
get a 256Mb CF Card if you intend to shoot at Large & Superefine Image
Size/Compression. There are good deals on Ebay which are typically 1/3 of
retail price if you play your cards right. Haven`t had any problems related
to Lexar CF Cards either, regards, Zol.

"AlexZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
> to look for when choosing one.
>
> First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
> speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
>
> I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
> Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
>
> Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
>
> Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
>
> Thanks for help
> Alex

DH

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (AlexZ) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
> to look for when choosing one.
>
> First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
> speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
>
> I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
> Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
>
> Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
>
> Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
>
> Thanks for help
> Alex

Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
speed is not an issue for your camera.

AlexZ

DH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (AlexZ) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
> > to look for when choosing one.
> >
> > First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
> > speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
> >
> > I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
> > Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
> >
> > Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
> >
> > Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
> >
> > Thanks for help
> > Alex

> Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
> speed is not an issue for your camera.

Thanks for your advice. Now that the speed is not so important, are there
particular brands, which are known to cause trouble? Can I just go and buy
the cheapest card out there?

Alex

DH

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) (AlexZ) wrote:

> DH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) (AlexZ) wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
> > > to look for when choosing one.
> > >
> > > First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
> > > speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
> > >
> > > I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local
> > > shops.
> > > Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
> > >
> > > Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
> > >
> > > Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
> > >
> > > Thanks for help
> > > Alex

> > Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
> > speed is not an issue for your camera.

> Thanks for your advice. Now that the speed is not so important, are there
> particular brands, which are known to cause trouble? Can I just go and buy
> the cheapest card out there?
>
> Alex

I would stick with the major brands - Viking, Simple Tech, Sandisk,
Kingston, etc. I've had very good look with my Kingston and Simple Tech
cards.

From Dealcather.com:

Featured Amazon.com Coupon SimpleTech SmartMedia 128MB $26.99 -
Discuss (1) - Added: 09/19
Compatible with thousands of digital cameras, MP3 players and handhelds.
Price is $36.99 with a $10 mail-in rebate. This item qualifies for free
shipping. [ Rebate ]
Expires: Unknown
All coupons for Amazon.com - Tell a Friend

Rich

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I would stick with the major brands - Viking, Simple Tech, Sandisk,
> Kingston, etc. I've had very good look with my Kingston and Simple

Tech
> cards.

Kingston has good TS and customer service. I prefer them. Have the
A70 and 2 Kingston 256mb modules. Kingston has rebates all the time,
even when you buy directly from them.

Viking I could not find. So I avoid them. They seem to sell via
Amazon.

Rich

Robert A. Barr

> Can I just go and buy
> the cheapest card out there?
>
> Alex

There's a really good price on the 512 Viking right now. Look over this site:

http://www.techbargains.com/

Mike P

I'm using a Kingston 256mb, works great, better than the 16mb card that came
with the A70.

Mike