Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The heartbreak of shutter lag

The heartbreak of shutter lag

Wombat

I hope it works on yours. There are two ways to get to manual focus
on the C4000 series, one is the two second hold of the Ok button, the
other is the tap while doing a half press. I must admit to never
having seen a 3000 series. They seem to be he same camera, however ,
If you haven't seen this in your manual then there is a chance it is a
new feature with the later C series cameras. Good luck and I hope I
didn't stear you wrong.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:54:18 -0400, Mike Graham
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wombat wrote:
>
>> While in auto point to something at the right distance and give a half
>> push, then hit the OK button. Focus locked.

> I have read the manual several times from end to end, and don't remember
>seeing a reference to this before. I'm glad you told me... thanks.

JIM

"Charlie D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> That was on the 35mm equipment NG.
>

> Not with an Oly 3030.

Forgot to mention that - true fact that most only follow their own interest
area. Bottom line fact still remains that slow pretty much is slooow
Watched my neice today trying to get her new (to her it's new) Sony 5 mp
DSC-92(?) to register the shot before the baby or dog turned its head - - at
least the delete function works fairly quickly, just hope that feature has a
long life under heavy duty

Shoot'em up, fast, slow, w/sun dial, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will
love you for it!!

Jim

Patrick Walsh

> I found two ways to
> eliminate the "shutter lag" on my Olympus C-4000.
>
> 1. Hold the shutter button down half way to pre-focus and

pre-exposure-set.
> When the shutter button is pressed the rest of the way the shutter will

fire
> immediately. This is a bit awkward. It would be much better to have a
> separate button to "arm" this mode, so you wouldn't have to hold the

shutter
> button.

That's what I do with my Coolpix 4500, and I've never had a problem, though
I've never owned an analog camera, so I don't know the difference. My dad
shot film all his life though and he gets really frustrated with the need to
partially squeeze the button first.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone can get good photos *without* using this
method. I usually aim at my target and partially depress the button
immediately as a course of habit - there's no point waiting. Then I compose
the shot, steady the camera, and gradually apply more force. When shooting
at 1/60 you will never get a sharp image if you press the button all at
once - the camera shakes a bit up and down as the button goes past the two
depression zones, and you'll get motion blur. There's zero noticable
shutter lag if you first slightly depress the button - I took lots of
time-critical shots at my cross-country meets this year without a problem.