Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Explain EXIF Brightness data?

Explain EXIF Brightness data?

Tom

Can someone pse explain what the Brightness value represents in the EXIF
file.
And is there any where I can view a basic explanation of the EXIF terms.
Example data:-
Brightness Value 29 /10
Aperture f2.8
Shutter 1/30 sec

Does this have a relationship to an EV?
Mni Tnx

Ralph

I am confused about the exposure time and shutter speed.
What is the difference? (Not 0.00011111)

ExposureTime - 10/9000 seconds
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/1000 seconds

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Tom wrote in message ...
>Can someone pse explain what the Brightness value represents in the EXIF
>file.
>And is there any where I can view a basic explanation of the EXIF terms.
>Example data:-
>Brightness Value 29 /10
>Aperture f2.8
>Shutter 1/30 sec
>
>Does this have a relationship to an EV?
>Mni Tnx

Alan Browne

Tom wrote:

> Can someone pse explain what the Brightness value represents in the EXIF
> file.
> And is there any where I can view a basic explanation of the EXIF terms.
> Example data:-
> Brightness Value 29 /10
> Aperture f2.8
> Shutter 1/30 sec
>
> Does this have a relationship to an EV?
> Mni Tnx

I have no idea what the "Brightness Value" means, but EV is simple enough:

EV 0 is defined as: ISO 100, f/1.0, 1 second.

From there, f/2.8 is 3 stops of light brighter,
and 1/30 of a second is 5 stops brighter,

So at ISO 100, that would be an EV of 8.

ISO 200, EV of 7,
ISO 50, EV of 9, etc.

Alan.