Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > PERL DB

PERL DB

bikram

Hi, I'm fairly new to Perl/CGI. I was able to get Perlfect and it
works great as a site indexer and searcher.

I need however to have the same searching functionality on a CD. I
have a slight grasp of the database structure of the DB FILE, and was
hoping to be able to write a VB application that will run queries on
the DB (perlfect indexed it so well). I'm not quite sure from where to
start.

I may have not considered other alternatives so please feel free to
let me know if there is an easier way to do this. Since its a one time
thing, I'm holding on to actually having to buy a website indexer
software.

The big problem with the perl script is that I can't pipe the output
(of search.pl) to an external program (VB in my case) - unless I use a
temporary file - which will require parsing before being screen
worthy.
Thanks,

BC

Jürgen Exner

bikram wrote:
[...]
> The big problem with the perl script is that I can't pipe the output
> (of search.pl) to an external program (VB in my case) - unless I use a
> temporary file - which will require parsing before being screen
> worthy.

What's wrong with using 'open()'?
From 'perldoc -f open' (please see there for further details):
[...]
If the filename begins with "'|'", the filename is interpreted
as a command to which output is to be piped, [...]

jue