Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S45 vs G3

Canon S45 vs G3

CNT

I hope I am not talking to myself with this NG? <he he> Not much people
reply to my posts? Maybe I know what I am talking about (doing my homework),
yet asking?

Well, anyway... I had my mind set on the G3 for a while. But, I stop and
thought twice. Really, I want a camera to take with me to more places, thus
the camera have to be SMALLER than my Nikon 880 (why? because I am not
taking the Nikon with me as much I want to, even I have the belt-case). So,
with a G3, I may endup the same routine, right?

I am back looking at the S45 (actually first it was S50, but now I
understand about the noise). You know, the Nikon 880 is actually the "Baby
990", yet lost a lot of features that the 990 had. On the same token, the
S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same features of
the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread, hot-shoe, and the
nice remote.

My main point for a digital camera is picture/image quality. All of the
overall conclusion is the same for G3 and S45 (9-9-8.5-9-9-9). Interesting
that both were on market same time and are a year old together now,
fraternal twins?

Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
to do very soon! In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss.

Chuck

Constantinople

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3f6a8797$(E-Mail Removed):

> On the same token, the
> S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same
> features of the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread,
> hot-shoe, and the nice remote.

1x zoom sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Robert E. Williams

CNT wrote:

> I hope I am not talking to myself with this NG? <he he> Not much people
> reply to my posts? Maybe I know what I am talking about (doing my homework),
> yet asking?
>
> Well, anyway... I had my mind set on the G3 for a while. But, I stop and
> thought twice. Really, I want a camera to take with me to more places, thus
> the camera have to be SMALLER than my Nikon 880 (why? because I am not
> taking the Nikon with me as much I want to, even I have the belt-case). So,
> with a G3, I may endup the same routine, right?
>
> I am back looking at the S45 (actually first it was S50, but now I
> understand about the noise). You know, the Nikon 880 is actually the "Baby
> 990", yet lost a lot of features that the 990 had. On the same token, the
> S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same features of
> the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread, hot-shoe, and the
> nice remote.
>
> My main point for a digital camera is picture/image quality. All of the
> overall conclusion is the same for G3 and S45 (9-9-8.5-9-9-9). Interesting
> that both were on market same time and are a year old together now,
> fraternal twins?
>
> Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
> to do very soon! In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
> both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss.
>
> Chuck

I doubt that many folks have both the S45 AND the G3.
If you have one, there is no compelling reason to get the other.
I have the Canon S45 and I am very pleased with it
My primary selection criterion was that it fit in my SHIRT pocket.
Secondary criteria were, Very sharp 4 MP images (for excellent 8 x 10s), 3X
or more optical Zoom, Affordable price, Good build, Feels good in my hands.
I found from long experience with film cameras that whenever I went shooting, my
pocketable Yashica T4 P&S got used much more than my Canon A-1 SLR even though
the latter was much more versatile.
I really like the feature set of the G3, but I think it would suffer the same
fate as my beloved A-1. A great camera, but where is it when you want it? At
home, in the car, in the hotel room, left at the restaurant.
No question that the G3 has more useful features and is more versatile than the
S45.
I feel that image quality is about the same and price differential is not
excessive.
If pocketability is a prime consideration, choose the S45; otherwise you can't
go wrong choosing the G3.
Bob Williams

JK

You missed the most important differences. The G3 has a lens that is much
faster at the telephoto end than the S45. The G3 also has a display that
rotates.
If you like to take photos in low light without the flash(and especially candid
photos shot from the hip), the G3 would be much more useful. The G3 is a
nice camera, however my personal preference would be for an Olympus C5050
instead, since the C5050 uses inexpensive AA nimh batteries rather than
an expensive proprietary battery, and the C5050 is better at macro. The
C5050 is 5 megapixels vs 4 megapixels for the G3.

CNT wrote:

> I hope I am not talking to myself with this NG? <he he> Not much people
> reply to my posts? Maybe I know what I am talking about (doing my homework),
> yet asking?
>
> Well, anyway... I had my mind set on the G3 for a while. But, I stop and
> thought twice. Really, I want a camera to take with me to more places, thus
> the camera have to be SMALLER than my Nikon 880 (why? because I am not
> taking the Nikon with me as much I want to, even I have the belt-case). So,
> with a G3, I may endup the same routine, right?
>
> I am back looking at the S45 (actually first it was S50, but now I
> understand about the noise). You know, the Nikon 880 is actually the "Baby
> 990", yet lost a lot of features that the 990 had. On the same token, the
> S45 looks like the "Baby G3", yet holds almost all of the same features of
> the G3. Basically the S45 loses the 1x zoom, lens thread, hot-shoe, and the
> nice remote.
>
> My main point for a digital camera is picture/image quality. All of the
> overall conclusion is the same for G3 and S45 (9-9-8.5-9-9-9). Interesting
> that both were on market same time and are a year old together now,
> fraternal twins?
>
> Lastly, I didn't stop at the store to hand feel the camera, which I am going
> to do very soon! In close, I like to ask if anyone actually had experienced
> both G3 and S45, please commentsssssss.
>
> Chuck

Jon Sturgeon

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:08:00 -0700, "Robert E. Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I found from long experience with film cameras that whenever I went shooting, my
>pocketable Yashica T4...

Great camera. My Yashica T4D has given me years of excellent service.

Jon

Todd Walker

> The G3 is a
> nice camera, however my personal preference would be for an Olympus C5050
> instead, since the C5050 uses inexpensive AA nimh batteries rather than
> an expensive proprietary battery, and the C5050 is better at macro. The
> C5050 is 5 megapixels vs 4 megapixels for the G3.

Time to stop beating that proprietary battery drum. Batteries for the G3
can be bought for $11.95. I've used AAs and propreitary batteries and
I'll take a proprietary pack anyday.

Yes the 5050 is 5mp vs. 4 on the G3 but the G3 has less noise and better
picture quality IMHO.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

JK

Less noise on the G3? Were you comparing images at the same iso rating?
Did you compare images at 400 ISO?

Todd Walker wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > The G3 is a
> > nice camera, however my personal preference would be for an Olympus C5050
> > instead, since the C5050 uses inexpensive AA nimh batteries rather than
> > an expensive proprietary battery, and the C5050 is better at macro. The
> > C5050 is 5 megapixels vs 4 megapixels for the G3.
> >

> Time to stop beating that proprietary battery drum. Batteries for the G3
> can be bought for $11.95. I've used AAs and propreitary batteries and
> I'll take a proprietary pack anyday.
>
> Yes the 5050 is 5mp vs. 4 on the G3 but the G3 has less noise and better
> picture quality IMHO.
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

CNT

I am aware that the battery on the S45 is short life, but it's a small
camera. The G3 is bigger, so it has bigger battery. My Nikon battery is
short too, so I guess I am little used to that. I will just buy an extra
battery (which I didn't for the Nikon).

Chuck

CNT

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I like that color better than the blank silver. Is UK / US thing? I am in
Wisconsin (US), so I am supposed to be stuck with silver? I have no
knowledge with buying export and use it in US, is there language conflict
with hardware/software? Expound a little please (regarding possibly to get
the color in the US).

Chuck

JOHNSONCHARLES5

go for the canon g5.I have the g2 and its great.but tempted to trade in for
the 5 megapixels.
Charlie