Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bye Bye Darkroom

Bye Bye Darkroom

PTRAVEL

I've just packed up and shipped off everything from my color darkroom to
someone who bought it from me on eBay. Good bye to fumbling around in
absolute darkroom, standing with my hands in god-knows-what-toxic chemical,
monitoring temperatures, fiddling with color computers, waiting overnight
for prints to dry, trashing prints because a drop of chemical caused
contamination, etc.!

Last week, I pulled my first 13x19 print shot on my Canon 10d and printed on
my Canon i9100 after I had calibrated my monitor and printer. It was
gorgeous -- no visible grain (I didn't inspect it with a loupe -- not reason
to, as that's not how I view photographs), rich saturated color, sharp
detail, great contrast; this print was better than anything I've ever
produced in the darkroom. Sure, I suppose, in theory, it's possible to pull
a better large print (I used to make 16x20s) using chemical film, but I was
never such a purist that I was willing to spend hours producing a single
print. My all-digital print is more than good enough for my purposes, which
go no further than mounting it and hanging it on a wall in my den or office,
and leaving it there only until I get tired of it and print something else.

Bye bye darkroom! It's been fun, but it's really time to move on.

Stanley Krute

Hi PTRAVEL

> Last week, I pulled my first 13x19 print shot on my Canon 10d and printed on
> my Canon i9100 after I had calibrated my monitor and printer. It was
> gorgeous -- no visible grain (I didn't inspect it with a loupe -- not reason
> to, as that's not how I view photographs), rich saturated color, sharp
> detail, great contrast; this print was better than anything I've ever
> produced in the darkroom.

Amazing, isn't it ? Who ever woulda thunk it ?

Happy printing !

Stan

bmoag

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

PTRAVEL

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0CEab.471$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> You have much to learn, grasshopper.

Um, meaning what?

I've been doing chemical photography for more than 40 years, I do NLE, using
prosumer tools, for at least 5 years, and I've been experimenting with
digital manipulation of still images (from negative scans) for around 7
years, which included both printing and using the resulting images in my
videos for montages, titles and plate shots.

What is it you think I don't know?

Bryce

Hey. Buck up 'lil camper. Get some skin.

You can do it for 100 years and still have lot's to learn.

"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkfde8$15h86$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0CEab.471$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > You have much to learn, grasshopper.

> Um, meaning what?
>
> I've been doing chemical photography for more than 40 years, I do NLE,

using
> prosumer tools, for at least 5 years, and I've been experimenting with
> digital manipulation of still images (from negative scans) for around 7
> years, which included both printing and using the resulting images in my
> videos for montages, titles and plate shots.
>
> What is it you think I don't know?

PTRAVEL

"Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7Hab.1574$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey. Buck up 'lil camper. Get some skin.
>
> You can do it for 100 years and still have lot's to learn.

I agree. I don't, by any means, think I know all there is to know about
this subject. I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
"bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.

> "PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bkfde8$15h86$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:0CEab.471$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > > You have much to learn, grasshopper.

> > Um, meaning what?
> >
> > I've been doing chemical photography for more than 40 years, I do NLE,

> using
> > prosumer tools, for at least 5 years, and I've been experimenting with
> > digital manipulation of still images (from negative scans) for around 7
> > years, which included both printing and using the resulting images in my
> > videos for montages, titles and plate shots.
> >
> > What is it you think I don't know?

Bryce

It *was* pretty pointless. I give you that.

But in usenet, it's a waste of time to get angry. It's just zero's and one's
coming through and you will never meet the "person" on the other end.

"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bkff4f$182a4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Bryce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c7Hab.1574$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey. Buck up 'lil camper. Get some skin.
> >
> > You can do it for 100 years and still have lot's to learn.

> I agree. I don't, by any means, think I know all there is to know about
> this subject. I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
> "bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.
>

> > "PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bkfde8$15h86$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > >
> > > "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:0CEab.471$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > >
> > > Um, meaning what?
> > >
> > > I've been doing chemical photography for more than 40 years, I do NLE,

> > using
> > > prosumer tools, for at least 5 years, and I've been experimenting with
> > > digital manipulation of still images (from negative scans) for around

7
> > > years, which included both printing and using the resulting images in

my
> > > videos for montages, titles and plate shots.
> > >
> > > What is it you think I don't know?

Stanley Krute

Hi PTRAVEL

> I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
> "bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.

Yep.

If it makes you feel a bit better: it's been my experience that
if you ever meet one of the folks who make stupid/nasty/jerky
posts on the 'net in real life, they turn out to be sad introverted
pathetic losers of either the zit-scarred pencil-necked or bath-needy
lardbutt variety, dressed in semen-stained clothing.

Stan

Bryce

you actually meet these people?

"Stanley Krute" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsxHab.12733$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Hi PTRAVEL
>
> > I just find snide and cryptic one-line comments, like
> > "bmoag"'s, to be particularly pointless and unhelpful.

> Yep.
>
> If it makes you feel a bit better: it's been my experience that
> if you ever meet one of the folks who make stupid/nasty/jerky
> posts on the 'net in real life, they turn out to be sad introverted
> pathetic losers of either the zit-scarred pencil-necked or bath-needy
> lardbutt variety, dressed in semen-stained clothing.
>
> Stan

Stanley Krute

Hi Bryce

> you actually meet these people?

<grin> Yep, in the past tense.
Years ago I wrote columns for
Dr. Dobbs, and did work for Microsoft,
both of which gigs gave me occasion to
meet such shmendriks. Oy vey.

[These days, I just stay parked up my creek
in the mountains in the middle of beauteous
nowhere.]

Stan