Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 5 mp G3

Re: 5 mp G3

CNT

G5 is OUT I know this is a old post, but I have nothing better to do than
hope to read good reviews about the G3. G5 isn't much different than the G3,
only the MP war. Both have 1/1.8", so the 5MP is crapping in the noise. But
it's also said that for blowing up to 8x10 or bigger, the 5MP (G5 or S50) is
where it shines. As of now, I am on market for G3

Chuck

> Well, the reason I think it would be less likely to come out with a 5 mp
> camera is the G3 is competing quite well against the current crop of 5mp
> cameras, not only in sales, but I think in image quality as well. It

would
> make more sense for them to let the other camera makers spend scarce R&D
> money on creating competing 5mp cameras and them trump them all with a 6

mp
> camera once they (Canon) have sold all the 4 mp G3's they can. The other,
> less well heeled, manufacturers would have to wring out some sales of the
> 5mp cameras before they could ramp up for a 6mp camera.
>
> Don't forget, Canon has already created a 6 mp DSLR, so the technology is
> there, it's tested, and presumably ready for consumer level cameras. This
> is what I'd do.
>
> > Maybe so, but after making the S45 at 4 MPixel, they did come out with
> > the S50 with 5 MPixel. I'm guessing, but I think there's a chance
> > that a 5 MPixel G3 will come out.
> >
> > >Personally, I doubt it. There just isn't enough difference between a

4mp
> > >and a 5 mp camera. Remember the G3 came out after there were 5 mp

> cameras
> > >already on the market, so Canon chose NOT to make the G3 a 5mp camera.

Martin Francis

"CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f6a26c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> G5 is OUT I know this is a old post, but I have nothing better to do

than
> hope to read good reviews about the G3. G5 isn't much different than the

G3,
> only the MP war. Both have 1/1.8", so the 5MP is crapping in the noise.

But
> it's also said that for blowing up to 8x10 or bigger, the 5MP (G5 or S50)

is
> where it shines. As of now, I am on market for G3

That IS an old post, isn't it?
Anyway, I recently had chance to test a G5, and the noise at ISO50 was quite
noticable. The shot is at
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?p...743048&size=lg but the noise is
far more noticable here:
http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/m...Untitled-1.jpg

It might not be hugely intrusive, but it is more than i'd like at ISO50.
That said, I own an Olympus E10 and the noise is astonishingly bad at
standard ISOs.

--
Martin
Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993

Pedro

I like my G5, I blow up to 8X10 and I am very happy. I have not noticed any
noise as yet.
I am very pleased with my G5.
Pedro

"Martin Francis" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:bkd9ld$24q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "CNT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f6a26c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > G5 is OUT I know this is a old post, but I have nothing better to do

> than
> > hope to read good reviews about the G3. G5 isn't much different than the

> G3,
> > only the MP war. Both have 1/1.8", so the 5MP is crapping in the noise.

> But
> > it's also said that for blowing up to 8x10 or bigger, the 5MP (G5 or

S50)
> is
> > where it shines. As of now, I am on market for G3

> That IS an old post, isn't it?
> Anyway, I recently had chance to test a G5, and the noise at ISO50 was

quite
> noticable. The shot is at
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?p...743048&size=lg but the noise

is
> far more noticable here:
> http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty/m...Untitled-1.jpg
>
> It might not be hugely intrusive, but it is more than i'd like at ISO50.
> That said, I own an Olympus E10 and the noise is astonishingly bad at
> standard ISOs.
>
> --
> Martin
> Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993

Sexy Susan

The G5 sucks my ****ing ****. Canon made it for small-dicked assholes
like Pedro who are obsessed with Megapixels over optics.