Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery life/cost of spare for Canon G-3?

Battery life/cost of spare for Canon G-3?

Dr. Bob

I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

Zol.

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/PSG3/...ml#PowerSource - has the
battery life listed as aprox 450 shots with LCD monitor on and aprox 1050
without, regards, Zol.

"Dr. Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
> lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
> what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

Bay Area Dave

don't know about the G3 but I've got the S-40 and I have a spare battery
or I'd never get to take many pictures! After charging them fully, if I
use them that day or the next I'd venture to say I can get about 50-70
pictures (some with flash)from one battery, but if I wait more than 4-5
days, the batteries self discharge A LOT. In a week's time, they are
next to worthless. and yes, they are proprietary -- about $70 IIRC.

dave

Dr. Bob wrote:

> I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
> lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
> what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

Robert A. Barr

"Dr. Bob" wrote:

> I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
> lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
> what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

Newsgroup response fine too.

BP511 clones are available all over eBay. There are two styles -- one has
the regulator (?) and one doesn't. You want the one that does. There's
about a $4 price difference.

Anyhow, the good clones sell for about $13 + shipping. I have one, and it
works just like the original. Battery life on these cameras is amazing.

Sal

> I'm considering the canon G-3. I understand that it uses a "proprietary"
> lithium battery. Is this normally good for a day's shooting (50-75shots)?
> what is the cost of a backup spare? Thanks! E-mail response fine.

Only $11.99 for the batteries here:
http://www.sterlingtek.com/capog3dicaba.html
Else Canon will charge you around $75 for one with less power.

I got a spare, just in case, but have never been able to use it yet as I have
not had the battery in the camera go dead during any shooting yet. But you
should have a second one with you just in case.

Here is also a neat trick....

Instead of powering the camera on and off between shots, you can leave it on
and just keep hitting the display button which will just turn the LCD display
on and off (as THAT is what eats up most of the battery power) and just
before shooting, just hit the display button and the LCD comes right on and
the camera is all powered up and ready to shoot.