Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DOF on P&S digicams

DOF on P&S digicams

chibitul

I spent the last 2 years shooting 35 mm SLR (Pentax gear) and a P&S
digicam (Canon Powershot A10). A10 has no manual controls (besides some
exposure compensation and white balance). I have noticed that ususally
the DOF is much deeper on the digital camera (with maximum aperture
f/2. tha on my Pentax ZOOM lens (28-70 with f/4.0). I thought that a
larger aperture on the digicam will give me a shalow DOF. The real focal
length of the Powershot is 5-15 mm (equivalent ot 35-105 in 35 mm
format).

Since I am looking to buy a new digicam (looking at powershot A70, which
has nice manual controls) I am wondering if I will get shalow DOF from
it, since I can force the aperture to maximum opening... also why is the
minimum aperture only f/8?

Thanks

Jeremy

chibitul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I spent the last 2 years shooting 35 mm SLR (Pentax gear) and a P&S
> digicam (Canon Powershot A10). A10 has no manual controls (besides some
> exposure compensation and white balance). I have noticed that ususally
> the DOF is much deeper on the digital camera (with maximum aperture
> f/2. tha on my Pentax ZOOM lens (28-70 with f/4.0). I thought that a
> larger aperture on the digicam will give me a shalow DOF. The real focal
> length of the Powershot is 5-15 mm (equivalent ot 35-105 in 35 mm
> format).

It's equivalent to 35-105 in magnification, but it's still 5-15mm, and
depth of field is greater at shorter focal lengths.

> Since I am looking to buy a new digicam (looking at powershot A70, which
> has nice manual controls) I am wondering if I will get shalow DOF from
> it, since I can force the aperture to maximum opening...

No, you won't, it'll probably be about the same. Shoot close-up at max
telephoto zoom at max aperature, and that's as shallow as it'll get.

> also why is the minimum aperture only f/8?

Due to the small size of the sensor, anything smaller wouldn't work very
well.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

chibitul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jeremy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> chibitul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I spent the last 2 years shooting 35 mm SLR (Pentax gear) and a P&S
> > digicam (Canon Powershot A10). A10 has no manual controls (besides some
> > exposure compensation and white balance). I have noticed that ususally
> > the DOF is much deeper on the digital camera (with maximum aperture
> > f/2. tha on my Pentax ZOOM lens (28-70 with f/4.0). I thought that a
> > larger aperture on the digicam will give me a shalow DOF. The real focal
> > length of the Powershot is 5-15 mm (equivalent ot 35-105 in 35 mm
> > format).

> It's equivalent to 35-105 in magnification, but it's still 5-15mm, and
> depth of field is greater at shorter focal lengths.

but then the COC (circle of confussion) should be smaller for CCD rather
than film, so DOF should be about the same.

Or even better, forget COC:

Suppose you shoot 35mm film, 105 mm lens, f/4.8
Now shoot the same image digital 15mm focal length f/4.8

if I print both images 8x10 and look at them *from the same distance* I
wonder if I see the same DOF or not. What I want is to get a portrait
with the street background blurred out. Please let me know if this is
possible with P&S digital or not. Plan to borrow an A70 and do the test
myself, or ask a close frined to do it for me.

> > Since I am looking to buy a new digicam (looking at powershot A70, which
> > has nice manual controls) I am wondering if I will get shalow DOF from
> > it, since I can force the aperture to maximum opening...

> No, you won't, it'll probably be about the same. Shoot close-up at max
> telephoto zoom at max aperature, and that's as shallow as it'll get.
>
> > also why is the minimum aperture only f/8?

> Due to the small size of the sensor, anything smaller wouldn't work very
> well.

Jeremy

chibitul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What I want is to get a portrait with the street background blurred out.
> Please let me know if this is possible with P&S digital or not.

If what you're looking for is the kind of limited depth-of-field that you'd
get with a medium telephoto on 35mm wide-open, no, you're not getting that.
You can get a blurred background if you shoot zoomed in, wide open, and
close up, but it won't be as much as you're probably looking for -- but
since I don't know exactly what you're looking for, best advice would be to
try it and see if it's enough for what you want.

--
Jeremy | (E-Mail Removed)