Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Peter Jones

One thing that I've really noticed in the past few months is
scripting. Earlier versions of PhotoPaint (and perhaps the current
one) support CorelScript and Visual Basic. This allows you to do a
wide variety of things. I've written scripts that have large dialogs
with a wide variety of controls, allowing me to try various settings
of gamma, contrast masking, borders, titles, cropping, etc, and play
around until it looks perfect. Doing that manually would take
forever.

I've written various scripts that make a border around an image and
place the date and time. Others that take a loaded image, write it out
with a computed file name and close it. That way I can scan an image
and finish with a single double click.

I've also written a small test script that takes an image, creates a
thumbnail complete with drop shadow, writes out the new file, creates
an html file with the thumbnail and hyperlink to the original image.
The idea being that you could use a CorelScript dialog to select a
group of pictures and automatically create an html page of thumbnails.

You can also use CorelScript for renaming, moving files, etc. If you
really wanted to, I'm sure you could even read the EXIF data from a
JPEG file.

CorelScript allows you to put 'smarts' into scripts, unlike PhotoShop
actions which merely perform a sequence of commands. For example, you
may have an action that creates a border on an image, but the image
must be wider than it is tall. If not, you must rotate before you
start the action. There is a download from Adobe that allows you to
use JavaScript to write commands, but it is cumbersome in the extreme.
CorelScript also has a full colour-coded text editor with debugging.
PhotoShop? You're on your own.

Example:

// ==========Haze removal USM (PhotoShop script extension code)
var id7 = charIDToTypeID( "UnsM" );
var desc3 = new ActionDescriptor();
var id8 = charIDToTypeID( "Amnt" );
var id9 = charIDToTypeID( "#Prc" );
desc3.putUnitDouble( id8, id9, hazeAmount );
var id10 = charIDToTypeID( "Rds " );
var id11 = charIDToTypeID( "#Pxl" );
desc3.putUnitDouble( id10, id11, hazeRadius );
var id12 = charIDToTypeID( "Thsh" );
desc3.putInteger( id12, 0 );
executeAction( id7, desc3, DialogModes.NO );

// Compared with PhotoPaint 8 CorelScript:

.EffectUnsharpMask hazeRadius, hazeAmount, 0

Having said that, Adobe has a great site that shares actions created
by various users.

Now, if only someone would write a standalone application that would
perform the equivalent of the 'dump action to text' command in
PhotoShop, so the rest of us can use great actions! Or, give us the
file format and we can write a PhotoShop action interpreter in
CorelScript!!

Peter

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:07:43 -0400, "Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there anyone that is familiar enough with both programs, Corel and Adobe,
>that could give an objective review of why Photo Shop is the preferred
>program for digital photography? Or is it.....?
>Thanks,
>Bubba

Digital Photography Reference
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
Health, happiness and healing
http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com