Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

Re: Corel Photo-Paint vs/ Adobe Photo Shop

VT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:07:43 -0400, "Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there anyone that is familiar enough with both programs, Corel and Adobe,
>that could give an objective review of why Photo Shop is the preferred
>program for digital photography? Or is it.....?

Try this site:

http://www.designer-info.com/

comprehensive reviews and opinions on both PhotoShop (plus earlier
versions) and Corel Draw (of which Photo-Paint is a subset).

Current version reviews under Main Reviews,
earlier versions under Archives.
--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

JunkMonkey

"VT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Try this site:
>
> http://www.designer-info.com/
>
> comprehensive reviews and opinions on both PhotoShop (plus earlier
> versions) and Corel Draw (of which Photo-Paint is a subset).
>
> Current version reviews under Main Reviews,
> earlier versions under Archives.
> --
> Vincent
> remove CLOTHES for e-mail
>
> http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

I prefer PhotoPaint over everything else I've tried, and I've tried them all
at one time or another.

It has the best user interface (UI) of any PhotoEditor I've found. And it
is totally configurable to work however you want it. I always found the
Photoshop UI a little obtuse. Nothing was ever where I though it should be.
From what I've read in reviews, almost everyone recognizes the Corel UI as
superior.

You've probably heard the statement that "Jasc PaintShopPro does 90% of
what PhotoShop does but at one third the price"? Well you never hear that
about Corel PhotoPaint because it does 100% of what PhotoShop does.
Extensive color management, levels, Curves, you name it. It even has a
twist on Layers that Corel calls Objects". I have found the Corel
selection tools MUCH easier to use than PhotoShop's.

True, the absolute most current version of CGS is around $500 (Version 11).
But for that amount, you get PhotoPaint, CorelDraw, BitStream font
navigator, Texture, Texture capture, Capture CorelScript, AND Microsoft
Visual Basic for Apps (VBA). My version - 9 also comes with a copy of Canto
Cumulus. Compare the cost of equivalent Adobe products.

But there are two other ways to get the power of CGS. The first is to buy
Corel Essentials (About $70-$80 USD), this is a current product, aimed at
the amateur, it is just CorelDraw9 and PhotoPaint9 and I have heard that the
scripting and color management has been deleted from it. but I have never
used it, so I don't know that for sure. The other way is to buy a legal
copy of version 9 in the OEM form. You can buy it from
www.softwareoutlet.com for around $50 US. It is registerable and
upgradable. The only thing missing from it is the clipart and the Microsoft
VBA. this is an incredible bargain. (It does 100% of what Photoshop does at
UHMMM. . . roughly 1/5 the price)

As to why Adobe is the Lead Dog and Corel's view of the Lead Dog never
changes, I think it is the incredible arrogance and dumb decision making on
the part of Corel's leadership. I have heard that Corel refuses to make its
record layout's available to third party developers. Practically ALL
photo/media organizers can read native Adobe file formats. The only
organizer I know of that reads Corel is Canto Cumulus. If this is true,
then it's just stupid. You can't rely on just the quality of your product,
you've got to have a vision and a plan. Corel doesn't appear to have that
vision or plan, and that is why you can buy V9 for $50 US and Corel is (or
was) looking for a partner.

VT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:34:45 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
>traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
>most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
>good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
>PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
>of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_11.htm
QUOTE:
Corel Draw 11
Enhancements to R.A.V.E and PHOTO-PAINT, but disappointingly little
new power for the DRAW user.
UNQUOTE

http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_10.htm
QUOTE:
Corel Photo-Paint 10
Itís sometimes easy to forget that the Draw suite doesnít only include
the vector-based Draw module, it also includes the bitmap-based
Photo-Paint.
UNQUOTE

http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/corel_draw_9.htm
QUOTE:
The Rest of the Suite
Since the high-water mark of Draw 5, Corel has been gradually cutting
down the applications bundled in the Draw suite. Chart, Move, Show and
Depth have all been dropped and now in Draw 9, Corel has finally put
Dream3D out of its misery. The suite is now completely focused on Draw
and Photo-Paint,
UNQUOTE

http://www.designer-info.com/Writing...otopaint_8.htm
QUOTE:
In the past it's always been difficult to like Photo-Paint, the
bitmap-editing module in the Draw suite.
UNQUOTE

--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

Mike Jacoubowsky

> Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
> reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

It's difficult to buy CorelDraw *without* PhotoPaint, but the two are, in
fact, entirely separate applications. You invoke each separately, and
there's actually not as much crossover between them as I'd like.

Rest assured Corel PhotoPaint is a very powerful program, and I much prefer
it to PhotoShop. However, this could be one of those your-mileage-may-vary
things and simply reflect the fact that I've grown up with various versions
of PhotoPaint over the years. My guess is that I could do very well with
either one (I actually do own a current copy of PhotoShop, but have found
very little need to use it).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

JunkMonkey

Absolutely! There is no such thing as the "Best" photo editor. They all
have their strengths and weaknesses. Just as there is no "best" screwdriver
they are tools to be used when appropriate.

As far as the confusion as to the differences between CorelDraw and
PhotoPaint, I think a lot of it comes from the abysmal quality of the
reviewers the photomagazines assign to review Photoeditors.

Take the recent review in eDigitalPhoto, for instance. While the review was
quite favorable and complimentary, It was obvious the reviewer new nothing
about Corel PhotoPaint, what the new features were, or what Corel was
touting as significant. The review consisted entirely of how well Corel
can write a PSD file and can use Photoshop type plugins (Corel actually
produces some of the most popular plug-ins - i.e. Knockout, Kai's Power
tools, etc)

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ijy8b.128$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
> > reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

> It's difficult to buy CorelDraw *without* PhotoPaint, but the two are, in
> fact, entirely separate applications. You invoke each separately, and
> there's actually not as much crossover between them as I'd like.
>
> Rest assured Corel PhotoPaint is a very powerful program, and I much

prefer
> it to PhotoShop. However, this could be one of those

your-mileage-may-vary
> things and simply reflect the fact that I've grown up with various

versions
> of PhotoPaint over the years. My guess is that I could do very well with
> either one (I actually do own a current copy of PhotoShop, but have found
> very little need to use it).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

David Dyer-Bennet

VT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:34:45 GMT, "JunkMonkey"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >PhotoPaint is NOT a subset of CorelDraw. PhotoPaint is a full featured
> >traditional paint program (like Photoshop) while CorelDraw is probably the
> >most powerful vector illustration program out there.(like Illustrator, but
> >good). I know! "most powerful" is arguable, but there's no question it's
> >PLENTY Powerful and the equal of anything else) They are both sold as part
> >of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS).

> Thank you for the clarification - perhaps I have misunderstood the
> reviews, they seem to imply Photo-Paint is part of Corel DRAW?

Corel packages their software in many bundles.

The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
package.

They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.

It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
market.

I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
PhotoPaint since then.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Peter Jones

Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
PhotoPaint completely behind.

Peter

On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>VT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Corel packages their software in many bundles.
>
>The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
>Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
>particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
>package.
>
>They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
>
>It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
>probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
>market.
>
>I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
>didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
>I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
>but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
>PhotoPaint since then.

Digital Photography Reference
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
Health, happiness and healing
http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

VT

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 05:55:52 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's difficult to buy CorelDraw *without* PhotoPaint, but the two are, in
>fact, entirely separate applications. You invoke each separately, and
>there's actually not as much crossover between them as I'd like.

Thanks for your patient explanations -

I think perhaps the "confusion" comes from Corel themselves.

The Graphics Suite is actually sold and advertized as _CorelDRAW_
Graphics Suite - within which there is a CorelDRAW program/module.

Photo-Paint is also currently avialable (as pointed out) as a
program/module within CorelDRAW Essentials.

and I think previous versions of the suite used to be sold as just
"CorelDRAW" - as the past reviews seem to imply - within which there
was a CorelDRAW module/program.

So when someone talks of "CorelDRAW" -
are they talking about the Suite, Essentials or CorelDRAW the module,
or a previous version of the "Suite"?
--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

David Dyer-Bennet

[top-posting fixed]

Peter Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >VT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Corel packages their software in many bundles.
> >
> >The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
> >Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
> >particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
> >package.
> >
> >They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
> >
> >It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
> >probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
> >market.
> >
> >I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
> >didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
> >I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
> >but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
> >PhotoPaint since then.

> Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
> scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
> PhotoPaint completely behind.

This is entirely possible. I don't find scripts terribly useful; I
always want to tweak photos individually.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

Peter Jones

On 14 Sep 2003 13:08:32 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>[top-posting fixed]
>
>Peter Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> On 13 Sep 2003 13:26:01 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >VT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >Corel packages their software in many bundles.
>> >
>> >The "Draw" package is mostly sold these days as part of the "CorelDraw
>> >Graphics Suite", which includes pretty much everything (and in
>> >particular includes Draw and Paint). That's the top-end expensive
>> >package.
>> >
>> >They also sell packages containing older versions, at lower prices.
>> >
>> >It's all very strange and confusing, and not like anybody else, and
>> >probably contributes to their not being taken very seriously in the
>> >market.
>> >
>> >I've had many versions of the Corel package, starting with V3 (which
>> >didn't yet have PhotoPaint), and I've currently got V11, the latest.
>> >I started doing digital photo work with PhotoPaint because I had it,
>> >but I eventually switched to Photoshop and haven't really touched
>> >PhotoPaint since then.

>> Just an observation, but I suspect that if you had written many
>> scripts for PhotoPaint, you would have been less likely to leave
>> PhotoPaint completely behind.

>This is entirely possible. I don't find scripts terribly useful; I
>always want to tweak photos individually.

That's exactly why I wrote a script to tweak my photos. This single
dialog has gamma settings, equalization, USM, local contrast
enhancement, sizing, 6x4 cropping, copyright and title text, borders,
etc, all with full preview. I can just keep changing the settings and
see the overall effect. Doing things manually, you can only adjust
one kind of things at a time, eg: sharpening, or gamma. It's time
consuming to change a variety of setting and undo what you've done
before to try a different setting. However, if you love playing
around in Curves, scripts may not be the best way.

Peter