Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Killfile

Re: Killfile

Larry R Harrison Jr

"fhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just killfiled Monika. Now if the rest of you would just quit
> responding to her trash (killfile makes it easy) we'd be rid of her.

At the risk of sounding stupid, ignorant--pick your word.

How do you "killfile" someone in Outlook Express? Is it "message...block
sendor" from the pull-down menus?

(They should have a right-click option which says "Killfile" since everyone
calls it that.)

Ron Hunter

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
> "fhe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I just killfiled Monika. Now if the rest of you would just quit
>>responding to her trash (killfile makes it easy) we'd be rid of her.
>>

> At the risk of sounding stupid, ignorant--pick your word.
>
> How do you "killfile" someone in Outlook Express? Is it "message...block
> sendor" from the pull-down menus?
>
> (They should have a right-click option which says "Killfile" since everyone
> calls it that.)

Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
have to ASK this question. Sigh.

Dierk Haasis

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

Apart from sharing your sentiment, the correct answer to the question
asked is: Yes.

--

Dierk

Larry R Harrison Jr

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
wrote:

>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

Tony Spadaro

I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
insist that only their newsreader is any good.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> "Dierk Haasis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
>>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

> Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

I use Mozilla Thunderbird or Mozilla 1.5b suite.
Agent is also popular (although I don't like it).

Ron Hunter

Tony Spadaro wrote:

> I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
> insist that only their newsreader is any good.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> The Improved Links Pages are at
> New email - Contact on the Menyou page.
> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>"Dierk Haasis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:35:42 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Wish users would avoid OE completely, so it is no surprise that so many
>>>have to ASK this question. Sigh.

>>Hmm, okay. So what newsgroup reader do you guys recommend then?

I made no indication of the relative quality of OE, but it is an open
invitation to virus infection as to default configuration (which most
people use). That is why I recommend NOT using it.

Dierk Haasis

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:01:39 GMT, "Tony Spadaro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recommend using whichever reader you want and killfiling the idiots who
>insist that only their newsreader is any good.

Since my name came up totally out of context in your message I am
inclined to write something about your comment.

1. The question your message was a direct follow-up to hasn't been
answered by you.

2. IIRC, the people slightly griping about the use of OE (including
me) did answer the original question ("block sender") *and* gave a
perfectly valid recommendation about changing news reader.

3. I am an idiot - in the original Greek sense.

4. But I don't "insist" on "my" news reader being the best; it's just
one having been around some time, being programmed specifically to the
task, with some minor features missing, endorsed by many people.

5. Anybody can use what he wants including web interfaces as long as
everything works fine for the readers of his posts.

6. Hopefully this Tony Spadaro is the false one, as I do regard the
original's opinion quite high and until this post thought he is
reasonable and polite.

--

Dierk

Sherry

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<snip>

> Not if it is written to PREVENT virus attacks. Eudora has

been on
> the market for years, and has a good following. Know of any

viruses
> that attack it? OE as configured by default actually

facilitates
> putting several types of viruses on your computer, and MS

KNOWS
> this, yet they have done little to prevent it.

Don't be too smug. A google search of "Eudora" and "viruses"
turned
up nearly 200,000 hits:

http://www.densakrasidan.com/tss_1160c.htm
"Though most virus, trojans and other mess are done to attack
Outlook
Express and Outlook, you can't feel safe because you use some
other
program. For example, Magistr.B is a nasty virus attacking
Eudora"

http://www.anrecs.msu.edu/technology...eyouvirus.html
"Eudora users, if you have opened the attachment, you may be
prompted
for the location of your Eudora address book. *DO NOT RESPOND*
Once
you do, you are now infected just like the Outlook users."

http://antivirus.about.com/library/bleudora.htm

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/redteam.shtml
"RedTeam - This virus infects Windows EXE files (NewExe) and
sends
itself to Internet by using Eudora e-mail - it is the first
known
virus that infects Windows and spreads via Internet."

http://www.info-links.com/news/002.html
"Qualcomm the makers of the popular Eudora e-mail software
announced
on Thursday that a bug existed in versions 4.0 and 4.0.1 of
their
Eudora Pro and CommCenter products. The problem could
potentially
allow anyone to install software on your hard drive, including
viruses, without your permission."

There are many mass mailing worms that spread themselves through
Outlook, but there are even more worms and viruses that don't
need
Outlook to cause serious damage to one's computer.

Sherry

Tony Spadaro

No it is not written to "prevent" virus attacks - it simply wouldn't be any
fun for a hacker to write a virus and have it knock out all 170 computers in
the world that use it.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
New email - Contact on the Menyou page.
"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony Spadaro wrote:
> > And as soon as some other newsreader has a significant share of the

market
> > they will start writing virus and worm software for that program

instead.

Killfile in Thunderbird??!? graeme@invalid Firefox 3 11-05-2004 06:32 AM
killfile not working Ranjit Firefox 3 10-02-2004 07:35 PM
Killfile Barry Firefox 1 09-13-2004 07:31 PM
Killfile in newsgroups? Walter Mitty Firefox 5 05-18-2004 06:24 AM
Killfile in Thunderbird Joebee Firefox 4 09-25-2003 07:17 PM

Advertisments