Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX6340 Observations

Kodak DX6340 Observations

E Jones

I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded it
in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the camera
are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I had
any prints made yet.

I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.

First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install Kodak's
software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected to
the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you own
a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require disk
storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
(something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut in
the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.

I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too steamed
about the software.

Any other tips or opinions on this software?

- Earl

andrew

"E Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bna8b.50045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install

Kodak's
> software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
> someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected

> the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
> Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you

own
> a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
> collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require

disk
> storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
> (something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut

in
> the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
> Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
> Any other tips or opinions on this software?

when you install the software, isn't there an option for CUSTOM install?
most applications will allow you to load drivers only. then again, kodak is
mostly intended for those not computer-savvy (not taking a stab at you, but
the whole easyshare system is aimed at reluctant, non-technical digital
buyers). also, there should be an option somewhere in the software menu
(most likely accessed by rick-clicking on the item in the system tray) that
would allow you to turn off the launch on start-up feature. however, you
seem like you know what you're doing so maybe you've already tried these
steps?

Ron Baird

Greetings Earl,

I can appreciate your questions, and am glad to address them.

The request that you do not plug in the camera prior to installing the
software is to reduce the chance of getting an error in the registry making
it more difficult in some cases. The camera should show up as another drive
in your system.

EasyShare is a cataloging program that uses links to images. Essentially,
it catalogs the pictures it takes in from cameras, as well as from your hard
drive, memory card reader, CDs and other removeable media. The images are
stored on your hard drive once, then links to them are created in EasyShare.
It does not take in image files with the same name twice.

EasyShare is added to the Start folder under the heading 'Kodak' in
'Programs' Under Kodak is a link called EasyShare. There is also a link
added to the Systray so you can activate the program easily with one click.
If you want an icon in the start area, you can edit the operating system to
do this.

I am glad to help you with any questions you have about the system, Earl, or
any other Kodak product or service. And, of course, imaging in general if
you like.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Kodak

"E Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bna8b.50045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded

it
> in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the

camera
> are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I

had
> any prints made yet.
>
> I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
> intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
> peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.
>
> First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install

Kodak's
> software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
> someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected

> the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
> Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you

own
> a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
> collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require

disk
> storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
> (something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut

in
> the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
> Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
>
> I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
> functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
> does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
> concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too

steamed
> about the software.
>
> Any other tips or opinions on this software?
>
> - Earl

Proud USA Babe

Go get a real digital camera. Kodak and Fuji make great film and
darkroom supplies. Cameras are not their best work.

"E Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bna8b.50045$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded it
> in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the camera
> are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I had
> any prints made yet.
>
> I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
> intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
> peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.
>
> First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install Kodak's
> software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
> someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected to
> the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
> Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you own
> a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
> collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require disk
> storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
> (something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut in
> the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
> Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
>
> I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
> functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
> does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
> concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too steamed
> about the software.
>
> Any other tips or opinions on this software?
>
> - Earl

Ron Hunter

Proud USA Babe wrote:
> Go get a real digital camera. Kodak and Fuji make great film and
> darkroom supplies. Cameras are not their best work.
>

> "E Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bna8b.50045$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>
>>I just got a Kodak DX6340 camera. My old DC280 up and died, so I traded it
>>in to Kodak for a refurbished camera. My initial impressions of the camera
>>are favorable, but I have yet to read all of the manual yet, nor have I had
>>any prints made yet.
>>
>>I do have some complaints about the EasyShare software, though. It is NOT
>>intuitive, at least to me, and it exhibits many traits that are my pet
>>peeves when it comes to application software of any sort.
>>
>>First of all, there was a tag on the USB cable warning me to install Kodak's
>>software before connecting the camera. Darn. I was led to believe by
>>someone that the camera would just show up as a drive if it was connected to
>>the USB port. Oh well... I obeyed the warning and installed the software.
>>Like most packages, it feels like it is the only reason in the world you own
>>a computer. Open a JPG image, and the software wants to add it to "your
>>collection," whatever the hell that means. (Is it doubling the require disk
>>storage by duplicating images?) It also automatically launches itself
>>(something in the registry, I am sure, since it does not place a shortcut in
>>the Startup folder) whether you want it or not, puts an item in the System
>>Tray and also puts a shortcut icon on the desktop.
>>
>>I may at some point figure out how to have this software minimally
>>functional on my system so that it does what I want, only WHEN I want. It
>>does seem to have some interesting effects built in. Until then, I'll
>>concentrate on learning more about the camera and try not to get too steamed
>>about the software.
>>
>>Any other tips or opinions on this software?
>>
>> - Earl

Your opinion, and you are welcome to it, even if it is wrong.